Best time for calving

Help Support CattleToday:

coolpop

Reaction score
I put this ?? on beginners - should have put it here.

What time of the year is best for calving??
Spring / Summer / Fall / Winter

coolpop":1abcvca6 said:

There are a lot of different preferences for calving different times of the year and a lot of it has to do with your region. I don't like to calve in the summer here because of the flies and heat stress on the cow while she is in labor and that is when our pastures are probably at their worst. Winter calving is ok if it is not too cold and you can keep them out of the mud. Calving heifers in the cold can be pretty hard if they have problems or don't dry the calf off quickly. Fall calving cows will require more hay, feed or stockpiled pasture to get through the winter than dry cows (spring calvers that have already weaned their calves). If you have hot dry summers the cows with late spring calves may not have much to eat when milk production is peaking. There are pros and cons to calving any season, you just have to find what works for you.

Glad you asked. I've wrestled with the pros and cons of different calving seasons many times as I'm sure everyone has. Here are my random thoughts and considerations for calving time of year in my area in the hopes that others will offer their insights.
Moma considerations:
1)mid gestation is her lowest nutritional requirement stage and this time can be used to get her up to a BCS of 6 or so for calving.
2)First 2 months of nursing moma needs all the nutrition she can get.
3)Would like moma to have at least a 5 BCS at the end of lactation month 2 for rebreeding
4)Would prefer to take calf to sale barn after fall run price pressure has improved.

Time of year considerations:
Around 1st of May – Best nutrition time for moma and nice temperatures for low calving stress. BCS should not be a problem for rebreeding. But this requires her mid gestation to be in the fall and winter when its harder to maintain or improve BCS without supplement or winter pasture.

Mid Summer to early Fall – Heat and humidity create calving stress, and heat stress for calf. IF not a drought year then forage should still be nutritional enough to meet momas nursing requirements. However may have lower rebreeding rates at these higher temperatures.

Early fall to early winter – Mild temperatures. Forage quality is in decline but may still be good enough to meet momas nutritional requirements. A little supplement may be needed. Winter pasture is always a po$$ibility.

So I guess I'm thinking around the 1st of June since moma has had at least 2 months of good nutritional forage to improve BCS and it hasn't got real hot yet. However, the calf may not grow off as good over the first couple of months due to heat stress. Rebreed around Sept 1st and manage/hope for decent rebreeding rate given the high temperatures. Wean in Jan when sale barn prices are past the fall run price pressure.

Mid Summer to early Fall – Heat and humidity create calving stress, and heat stress for calf. IF not a drought year then forage should still be nutritional enough to meet momas nursing requirements. However may have lower rebreeding rates at these higher temperatures.
Just realized that doesn't make any sense.

coolpop":1w16h06x said:

All depends on where you live, and what you are breeding. Dairy in my area is all year long, and beef are usually early to mid spring, and early fall - when the heat and the bugs aren't so bad.

Latest posts