Best Ranch Dog

Help Support CattleToday:

k alton

Reaction score
Moving out to 80 acres that backs up to a creek...will probably get a few cattle, mostly for pasture art (probably get a Watusi from a friend up the road) and a few horses. Have a wife and two girls, 10 and 8. Want a couple of dogs that can hang outside and in the woods, but will not run off and get killed by deer hunters. The true hunting dog types (labs/pointers/ect.) seem a little energetic...girls want a golden retriever...my brother says a Boxer would be great. I was thinking about some kind of golden retriever mix...

Also, there are lab/weimeramer? pups being given away for free...

What are your thoughts about dogs that do well in a rural setting...

Any kind that stays in a kennel.

Outside dogs are usually nothing but a pain in the butt to neighbors.

Any of the breeds will work if you work with them. Few dogs will stay around if allowed to roam at will. We have had 1 German Shepphard, 1 Blk lab, 1 beagle, 2 Rhodesion Ridgebacks, 1 heeler mix and couple of "dawgs". All were good dogs. The Beagle would try your patience and once she treed something would let you know for hours. :lol:

k alton":ckdi0wcy said:
What are your thoughts about dogs that do well in a rural setting...

Any of them - provided they have a kennel/fenced in area that they are kept in when there is no supervision present, and they are obedience trained to respond to commands and know what is allowed and what is not. Bored, untrained dogs left to their own devices usually develop the habit of chasing livestock (be it yours or the neighbors) for entertainement. I cannot think of a faster way for them to get shot. Dogs, like children, need guidance and training in order to successfully fulfill their purpose in life. Be advised, however, that a dog that fits with ranch life may or may not fit with you and your families expectations/time constraints. I would advise coming up with a composite for the behaviour/needs of a dog based on the time you and your family are willing to expend, then googling different breeds to see which breed fits those requirements/desires.

Get a standard sized Rat Terrier (20 + lbs). They can live outdoors, make great watchdogs, will kill rats and mice, and be as loyal as Trigger was to Roy. They're as tough as a pine knot, smart as a whip, shorthaired, and full of energy into old age. Can't go wrong with a well bred Rat Terrier.
As far as cows go, if you're wanting lawn decorations, go with Herefords. They're docile, easy going cattle. However, all cows need to be gotten up to be worked (vaccinations, teat injuries, etc) so you'll need a chute with a headcatch. If you're just wanting cows to look at, I'd reconsider. Cows can be a lot of trouble, regardless of breed.

Thanks for all replys. The advice you gave is what I was afraid of...not PERFECT dog out there that will sit on the porch patiently waiting/watching/guarding when we are away but then transforms into a playful, energetic, woodswise hunter when I want them to. Will check into building a kennel/fenced area. Also will google rat terriers.

As far as cows go, will take advice and make sure I want the experience of working a few (5-10) a few times a year. Thanks.

Thanks for all replys. The advice you gave is what I was afraid of...not PERFECT dog out there that will sit on the porch patiently waiting/watching/guarding when we are away but then transforms into a playful, energetic, woodswise hunter when I want them to. Will check into building a kennel/fenced area. Also will google rat terriers.

As far as cows go, will take advice and make sure I want the experience of working a few (5-10) a few times a year. Thanks.

Believe it or not, I am trying HARD not to double posts everything, but when I go back to forum after posting it says the page has expired, then when I hit the refresh button I think it is posting again...have a high-speed connection....will work on it...

k alton":1m0k18ny said:
Believe it or not, I am trying HARD not to double posts everything, but when I go back to forum after posting it says the page has expired, then when I hit the refresh button I think it is posting again...have a high-speed connection....will work on it...

Try to hit back instead of refresh, that may help

You can also delete one of the double posts. Just hit the X in the upper right hand corner of the posts. I've had to do it a few times myself.

WE always kept Border Collies when we had sheep, but they must only be kept if used as a working dog. A pack of Jack russels were exelent for security during the war in my country of origion,and they hunted Jackal and kept rats controlled.
Rhodesian Ridgebacks- always had a couple whichwent everywhere in the pickup, and were the only dogs that I could use to track leopards without ending up as their breakfast.
Whatever breed, they were always fenced in at night!

Any dog you get MUST have a job..If they don't have an idea what to do they will fall in with a bad crowd and wind up shot,and you in court....just like kids..

I'd say Catahoula. Preferably of of the larger strains. I promise you that a stranger will not get out of his truck with a 90#, blue eyed gray leopard Catahoule just standing there looking at him like lunch. The old cajuns will tell you that you can work them all week, take them hunting on Saturday and Sunday they watch the kids.Z

Latest posts