Best Liqiud Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

elkwc

Reaction score
We used protein tubs some last wint. Have one liqiud feed tank with the wheels. Have had it filled when it went empty by the local feed store but it sure of brand. Her grandson put out Loomix in the open top tanks and left them. Thinking about trying it in a few pastures this winter. We have several options on brands in the area. Haven't done any pricing yet. Wanted opinions on which brands were the best, what protein levels to look for. Also can all liquid feed be fed in open top tanks or does some need the wheels to limit consumption. Have received mixed opinions on that. I ask as the top with the wheels has went bad and can't find one to fit the tank and considering removing it so the cattle can eat it. All opinions will be appreciated. I've done some searches again with mixed results and opinions and the one tank we have is all I've ever fed.

I'm trying Westway Converter, which contains 32% protein and 3% fat and a host of other vitamins and minerals. it is similar to the Purina product the local co-op in town sells, but with quite a bit less fat and is about $200 per ton cheaper. So far the cows are taking it fine. I've only had it out for 5 days. I have a wheel type trough. I'm going to close off 2 of the 4 wheels to limit their consumption a bit. 4 wheels for my little 40 cow herd is too many.

AZAggie":1lqvh7a8 said:
I'm trying Westway Converter, which contains 32% protein and 3% fat and a host of other vitamins and minerals. it is similar to the Purina product the local co-op in town sells, but with quite a bit less fat and is about $200 per ton cheaper. So far the cows are taking it fine. I've only had it out for 5 days. I have a wheel type trough. I'm going to close off 2 of the 4 wheels to limit their consumption a bit. 4 wheels for my little 40 cow herd is too many.

If you don't mind me asking what is the cost per ton?

I know a ranch manager that feeds liquid supplement year round in open top containers. The liquid feed supplement is heavier than water, so the rain just runs out. He claims the liquid feed is the cheapest way to supplement a cow, because there's no need to fertilize or buy mineral.

elkwc":vt124nis said:
AZAggie":vt124nis said:

If you don't mind me asking what is the cost per ton?

If I remember right it's 280 a ton here Ranch meal is 320. Freight is our enemy in this county on everything has to be trucked in.

True Grit Farms":1ol9j8gu said:
I know a ranch manager that feeds liquid supplement year round in open top containers. The liquid feed supplement is heavier than water, so the rain just runs out. He claims the liquid feed is the cheapest way to supplement a cow, because there's no need to fertilize or buy mineral.
Amazing. :shock: :???: :bs:

TexasBred":1lv9s9il said:
True Grit Farms":1lv9s9il said:
I said the same thing. I'd suggest reading up on on hemarithra grass before I'd make myself look like an idiot. Here's the ranch if your interested in calling him. Frank figures everything to the penny.
https://www.wynneranch.com
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/m/#publication?id=AG330

True Grit Farms":2h010jzf said:
TexasBred":2h010jzf said:
True Grit Farms":2h010jzf said:
I said the same thing. I'd suggest reading up on on hemarithra grass before I'd make myself look like an idiot. Here's the ranch if your interested in calling him. Frank figures everything to the penny.
https://www.wynneranch.com
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/m/#publication?id=AG330
What am I looking for? Does he feed liquid feed or spray it on this grass you linked to? ;-) Hope he's aware of the potential problems of feeding excessive amounts of protein to cattle. (Very nice looking cattle on his website)

Latest posts