best drug?

Help Support CattleToday:

onecowfarms

Reaction score
what in your opinion is the best drug for hoof rot and how long does it take to show inprovment?

My preference is nor Excenel. Within 12 hours you should notice an improvement and by 24 have a hard time picking out the one that had the problem.

LA 200 with a shot of banamine (I hope I spelled that right). You will find some people who have not had success with LA 200. It works great for me and the banamine gets the swelling down and is a pain reliever.

onecowfarms":87l7crp9 said:
what in your opinion is the best drug for hoof rot and how long does it take to show inprovment?

What did the vet say?
If this is the same animal as you were talking about earlier, if so I am truely concerned.
In thirty plus years I have never seen a cow with hoof rot in three feet, If you refer to the Merick Vet manuel I posted for you it even states it is rare to have it in more than one hoof.
The living conditions for this animal must have been or are deplorable.
If this animal tuely has foot rot in three hoofs it should be treated by a vet.
If this condition is happening on your farm there are serious management issues.
You need to spray down the entire feeding area with a 20% clorox solution daily.
Increase your idone supplement to prevent hoof rot .

this did not happen here this is a case of trying save a bull and a heifer that everbody gave up on ,they are in a nice warm pen now and are getting better care than they probley ever had ,had the vet out he said to keep giving them the pen g max and the drawing salve it i have pic of the worst hoof but having troble posting , the swelling has gone down to about half the size it was ! the vet was not much help i was not here when he stopped and just talked to him on the ph just thinking it would have got a little better after a week thats why i asked what is the best drug to be given and how long it should take ,i did read the link you posted and after looking at evrthing they had it still looks like hoof rot to me i can post the pic if someone could help find the upload button in the photos spot

big thanks dun for posting pic , this the right hind leg looking at the side of the hoof

IMO that's not hoofrot... I have seen much milder cases of the hoof separating, but I have yet to see a case of hoofrot that causes separation of the hoof wall and coranary band. Might have had an abcess in the hoof wall at some point (note the hole in the middle of the claw) caused by some awful living conditions, and it kind of spiraled out of control. I don't recall if a severe infection - causing a lot of heat in the hoof - can cause separation of the hoof like that (anyone else know?).

I'd be curious if there's actually a current infection there, or if the swelling is caused by an immune response to having that much tissue exposed to the elements.

By the way.... you asked how long it should take... this cow with footrot and an abcess...

...took about 5-6 months before she was 90% sound again. By 3 months she was walking pretty well most of the time, but wasn't near completely recovered. Three years later, I still have her hooves trimmed about 2x/year to keep her sound.

i get infection out of it everyday it lookes like the hoof was cut or broken off and i agree very bad living conditions !!!

well i just got her and i am not going to shoot her just yet she still has a lot of fight in her

What makes the difference between a case where the animal should still be allowed to live, and one where they ought to be put down? is it the will to live? the condition of the animal? or a combination of the two?

Think about it. I have criteria for my own herd, but it comes down to an individual decision for each person.

milkmaid":fzi6xvux said:
I have seen much milder cases of the hoof separating, but I have yet to see a case of hoofrot that causes separation of the hoof wall and coranary band. I don't recall if a severe infection - causing a lot of heat in the hoof - can cause separation of the hoof like that (anyone else know?).
Yes, a lot of heat in the hoof, as in this case, can cause seperation like that.

Moocow11":1vy7sgag said:
man I thought this was gona be a different kind of drug post :D jk, I like LA 200

Alchohol is my choice. Used to like weed but really knocks me for a loop so I stay away from it. :banana: :banana: :tiphat: :wave:

my eyes aren't that good, and i can't really see the details in that picture, but have you or your vet considered removing that one toe, in a nice clean cut, so it drains out better? might be off base here, but that's the first thing that came to mind.

Latest posts