Best diet for weanlings?

Help Support CattleToday:

bobrammer

Reaction score
We just got two paint weanlings. They are about 5 months old. The breeder has been feeding crimped oats, hay and a mineral block. Will this diet provide adequate nutrition for youngsters? Many thanks! Bob

Yes in my opinion it is adequate, I feed oats most of the time because I buy them bulk, but now they are to expensive. You can buy 50lb 10% all grain,cheaper than crimped oats. I would go with the 10% allgrain

Weanlings have some unique requirements for proper development. Amino acids (lysine, methionine, threonine are three most important) needed for good growth. Also, to best develop bones and joints, the correct minerals, mineral ratios, and vitamins are critical.
Alot of people use oats, but for best development, it's almost impossible to provide the best diet w/o using a well formulated weanling feed.

i believe so. this year, we've got 2 (now weanling)filly's that get sweet feed and a 'ration' of hay twice a day. thanx for listening..
ss

We may be lucky or whatever. However, our adults, yearlings, and weanlings get horse quality bermudagrass hay (about 12% protein) and a HIGH quality molasses/mineral tub specially for horses which retails for about $45. a 50# bucket currently. Lots of minerals, vitamins, antioxidants in the formula. We also use some "pelleted" feed (occasionally for special situations) that is 15% protein (alfalfa based): Bio Remedies "Total Equine". 50# bag retails for about $9.50 a 50# bag currently.

Have had no problems with any of our horses or any age. Their (non-winter) coats are slick & shinny, conformation great, no illnesses. Hoofs maintain great condition. Our one pregnant 26.5 year old TWH mare had some arthritis & nutrition problems when we got her last year. After putting on our feeding program, supplemented with "Nutri-Lix" liquid (1 oz. in feed daily) and 1/8 cup of "Tasco" seaweed product daily, she is in great condition, no observable joint or arthritic problems and is very active for a mare her age.

We don't feed Oats or any of the other "small grains". All of our horses have loafing (run-in) sheds, and 24/7/365 bermudagrass pasture.

For a look at our horses on these hay, feed, mineral products check their photos on our website.

If anyone interested in our sources for the Bio Remedies products, just e-mail or PM me.

During the Winter I add 1/2 cup of vegetable oil to the feed twice a day. It's easily digested and gives thar extra boost to keep weigh on when pasture is poor or non-existant.

Latest posts