best continential bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

There is no 'best". All the major ones have something good going for them, and all have their drawbacks. A lot depends on your cow herd and what you want in your end product. My personal preference would be Charolais, but that's just one man's opinion.

VanC":1uoc3got said:
There is no 'best". All the major ones have something good going for them, and all have their drawbacks. A lot depends on your cow herd and what you want in your end product. My personal preference would be Charolais, but that's just one man's opinion.

I agree. What is your plan for the calves off of this cross your proposing? Also, what is the breed make-up of the cows? Some continental breeds work better for some situations than others. Need to know more particulars.

Last time I checked Hereford and Angus were not continental breeds. I guess they are everything to some!

In my opinion Gelbvieh is the best all around continental breed!
good calving ease
growth
sound udders
docile
maternal
high yeilding
moderate mature size

Super Baldie":198hpqc1 said:
What is the best all around contin. breed bull to use on a crossbred herd of mature cows?

For what climate? For what pastures? For what market?

elwapo":22yvqngv said:
Last time I checked Hereford and Angus were not continental breeds. I guess they are everything to some!

In my opinion Gelbvieh is the best all around continental breed!
good calving ease
growth
sound udders
docile
maternal
high yeilding
moderate mature size
I hope you're right. I just bought a Gelbvieh bull for my angus cross cows.

We've used a lot of different continental breeds over the years, but still think Simmentals are the best.

But base your decision on what your market is, and what your goal for your herd is.

for a terminal cross a char would be a good choice. If you are going to keep heifers a gelbvieh bull would be hard to beat. If you have good cows, I really don't think you can go wrong. Choose what you like and what will throw the right calves for you and your area.

I have to agree with the above; what is your desired outcome?
Maine-Anjou bulls offer some very desirable qualities. Everyone has a different look or calf in mind. What are you looking for?

Latest posts