Best breed for grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

pangga

Reaction score
We are looking to purchase a couple cattle for grazing purposes only. We have 50 acres of property (northeast Washington) that we want cleaned up a bit and was wondering what the best breed is for the job. There is a fair amount of brush and some weeds, but still a lot of grass. Thanks for the help!

Addendum: We would like a friendly cow as these animals would also be pets. We don't care about milking or meat as we are vegan vegetarians!! :D Goats are not an option for us as we wouldn't be able to keep track of them in 50 acres fenced only with barbed wire.

I agree with goats.

If all you are looking for is a animal to clean your land up for you I tink you will find goats are cheaper and less trouble.

Does anyone have any good ideas in keeping goats in 50 mountainous acres fenced only with barbed wire??? That seems like a joke to me! =o) I'm afraid that goats might get killed by the cougars as well. Our horses have never gotten attacked, but I would worry about a smaller animal.

pangga":2dmyu7f0 said:
Does anyone have any good ideas in keeping goats in 50 mountainous acres fenced only with barbed wire??? That seems like a joke to me! =o) I'm afraid that goats might get killed by the cougars as well. Our horses have never gotten attacked, but I would worry about a smaller animal.

Yeah, what you have to do is build a waterproof fence, six feet high around the entire place.

Goats would clean it up the best, minus the problems with keeping them in. From your post, Im guessing you arent looking for something to clean it up, more of something to mow the grass and look pretty doing it.

Murray Grey do really good on grass alone for finishing, but your vegans so you dont care about that.

I would probably get some Longhorns, They look good and are easy keepers.

Aesthetically speaking I also really like Highlanders. I dont know what kind of keepers they are.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":oja9wl7z said:
Murray Grey! ;-) :cboy: :)

Mike, do you have your computer programmed to give this response automatically? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, actually we are looking for something to clean up the property which will also make it look prettier. One of the main reasons we'd like to clean it up is for a decrease in fire hazard. It dries out here really bad in the late summer and fires are a real danger.

Goats would be best for clean up but fence would be costly. Breed of cattle is really unimportant. Contact some of the local ranches and see if you can buy a couple of their gentlest cattle. That way you can see them and be around them to see how they act. Just remember they are big and a gentle cow can be hurt you pretty bad even if she didn't mean to.

Gaurd dog with the goats. The fence won;t be much of an issue until they start getting things grubbed down pretty well.

dun

dun":p8zjwg4r said:
Gaurd dog with the goats. The fence won;t be much of an issue until they start getting things grubbed down pretty well.

dun
Goats will cross a barbed wire fence for the sake of crossing.

As has been said, Longhorns would do a good job cleaning up pasture. I am wondering though, when you say a couple of cows, is this just a generalization? My reason for asking, is that I run 18 head on 30 acres, and in the spring, they have a hard time keeping up with new growth.

I would second the Highland recommendation. I have heard both good and bad things about their temperment so I can't comment on that. But as far as cleaning up brush they do an excellent job. They may be a good fit with your enviroment also.

pangga":2uh7ybkq said:
We are looking to purchase a couple cattle for grazing purposes only. We have 50 acres of property (northeast Washington) that we want cleaned up a bit and was wondering what the best breed is for the job.

I would suggest starting out with 5 Longhorn steers in the 500-600 lb weight range. They will eat the grass and also browse on the brush.

http://www.grangercattleco.com/classicsonora05s.html

Why not lease the property to someone who runs livestock?

You get to make some money (not much but better than a sharp stick in the eye)

AND

The grass and brush will be mowed down.

...just a thought

Latest posts