Best book on beef cattle from start to finish??

Help Support CattleToday:

OhioRiver":7mygn8z1 said:
What are your suggestions and where is it for sale at? :?:

Save your money. There is sufficient info on the internet. If you are going to buy a book, you may want to purchase one on genetic marking.

HerefordSire":3b73rejb said:
OhioRiver":3b73rejb said:

Save your money. There is sufficient info on the internet. If you are going to buy a book, you may want to purchase one on genetic marking.

That science is changing so fast that if their top scientist wrote a book today on the subject, it would be hopelessly obsolete 18 months from now.

HerefordSire":1k60092j said:
OhioRiver":1k60092j said:

:?: The basic, classic information on cattle or any subject really - information for general health and well-being should not change. A book is handy to have around to reference.

Admittedly, books are only as good as the research and experience behind them, as are internet sources. However, many books carry reputation tested by time of their usefulness. Internet sources may or may not be sourced at all so you need to read and sort even more critically. It might be an article with sound reasoning and could just as likely be the latest fly by night.

Even if it the internet information comes from a University, it may be just theory, conjecture, etc. without the experience behind it.

Most books aren't a large investment. I would think Ohio River and anyone else would benefit from having one around, even if it is just Storey's Guide.

I think I would rather read genetic marking from the internet and get the basics from a reputable book.

:?: The basic, classic information on cattle or any subject really - information for general health and well-being should not change. A book is handy to have around to reference.

I would like an entire library. I bet you have a high technology cell phone because it is handy to have around. Do you have a high-tech television (one where you can see actors and actresses and news) with high dollar cable or satellite receiver also?

Admittedly, books are only as good as the research and experience behind them, as are internet sources. However, many books carry reputation tested by time of their usefulness. Internet sources may or may not be sourced at all so you need to read and sort even more critically. It might be an article with sound reasoning and could just as likely be the latest fly by night.

Do you put margarine on a burn? Did Adam and Eve ever exist?

Even if it the internet information comes from a University, it may be just theory, conjecture, etc. without the experience behind it.

I bet you trust an investment firm with your money.

Most books aren't a large investment. I would think Ohio River and anyone else would benefit from having one around, even if it is just Storey's Guide.

Gee, you make a ton of money. Were you the only child in the family?

I think I would rather read genetic marking from the internet and get the basics from a reputable book.

What text is reputable? Is the bible reputable?

HerefordSire":2k1n3gx9 said:

I would like an entire library. I bet you have a high technology cell phone because it is handy to have around. Do you have a high-tech television (one where you can see actors and actresses and news) with high dollar cable or satellite receiver also?

Do you put margarine on a burn? Did Adam and Eve ever exist?

I bet you trust an investment firm with your money.

Gee, you make a ton of money. Were you the only child in the family?

What text is reputable? Is the bible reputable?

My My you are charming.... Is this necessary? I just happen to not be in sync with your priorities and offered another viewpoint. Surely that is not too hot for you ? I believe books still have value. If you have a need to start a fight over it, then address those issues. I am sorry, I fail to see how denigration using margerine and the Bible helps make your point. Do you mean if I don't think the internet is the only valuable source I should shut up ?

My My you are charming.... Is this necessary? I just happen to not be in sync with your priorities and offered another viewpoint. Surely that is not too hot for you ? I believe books still have value. If you have a need to start a fight over it, then address those issues. I am sorry, I fail to see how denigration using margerine and the Bible helps make your point. Do you mean if I don't think the internet is the only valuable source I should shut up ?

You are asking several questions. Please don't misunderstand me as my intention was to stimulate your thinking (not offend you) so you may learn something on your own instead of what people write. Each side of most intelligent debates are healthy for those wanting to think for themselves.

To answer you in my way please allow me to ask you a couple of questions....what is reality immediately before a writer enters text in a document for publishing purposes? Is this an opinion or provable beyond a shadow of a doubt. For example, is the speed of light constant? If so, please write an in depth explanation. One more example, was Einstein a male or a female? Regardless, please define your explanation.

What is reality? What is virtual reality? What is the truth? What is the definition of doubt? What is conviction?

HerefordSire":gxluaouk said:

You are asking several questions. Please don't misunderstand me as my intention was to stimulate your thinking (not offend you) so you may learn something on your own instead of what people write. Each side of most intelligent debates are healthy for those wanting to think for themselves.

To answer you in my way please allow me to ask you a couple of questions....what is reality immediately before a writer enters text in a document for publishing purposes? Is this an opinion or provable beyond a shadow of a doubt. For example, is the speed of light constant? If so, please write an in depth explanation. One more example, was Einstein a male or a female? Regardless, please define your explanation.

What is reality? What is virtual reality? What is the truth? What is the definition of doubt? What is conviction?

The only question I seriously asked of you , Razorback, was did I have to agree with you to not be subject to your margarine and Bible tirade. I see we're going around the world of obscurity before we'll get to that answer.

I'll add one more question to the first . What is mumbo jumbo and what is the purpose of mumbo jumbo ?

The only question I seriously asked of you , Razorback, was did I have to agree with you to not be subject to your margarine and Bible tirade. I see we're going around the world of obscurity before we'll get to that answer.

I'll add one more question to the first . What is mumbo jumbo and what is the purpose of mumbo jumbo ?

Next time I will be sure to honor your request your honor as you are the king of kings with plenty of coconuts in the basket.

Back to the question at hand--I got a book years ago through Progressive Farmer magazine that I thought was pretty good. It was by a guy named Ensminger, called "Beef Cattle Science". Might still be available through PF.

What is PF?

Jim62":1mcufrfd said:
Back to the question at hand--I got a book years ago through Progressive Farmer magazine that I thought was pretty good. It was by a guy named Ensminger, called "Beef Cattle Science". Might still be available through PF.

Jim62":2fko1poc said:

Interesting - the book Diesel Beef and Knersie both liked was by
an Ensminger also.

Latest posts