Best 22 ever?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have never been fond of MY 10-22, I truley liked a friends 10-22. It caused my to buy one for myself I still regret.

My favorite 22 is a Marlin Golden 39a

I am looking to get into a 22mag or .17hmr for shooting hogs and coyotes.

its not mine but Dad has an old Marlin 22 lever action with a 7 or 9 shot clip that gun has killed more coons, rabbits and squirrels than I can count and maybe even a deer or two
I know dad has had it for over 50 yrs probably closer to 60

it was one of only 2 guns that wasn't stolen from him back in the early 60s
the other is a winchester lever action shotgun made in the 1800's

LRTX1":caqd848l said:
I have never been fond of MY 10-22, I truley liked a friends 10-22. It caused my to buy one for myself I still regret.

Ditto that. Unbelievable accuracy. Had one since I was 12

Stevens falling block 44 1/2, next would be Weatherby XXII, then a BSA Martini match rifle. But that owuld exclude the Winchester 69A, Ithaca Model 49 and can;t exclude the T/C Contender with a 12 inch barrel. Too many to choose from, it takes a pretty crasppy 22 to be a bad one. My first was a Mossberg 642K semiauto (sometimes) The reason it was sometimes was after about 50 rounds down the barrel the sear would get worn and it would empty the clip with a single trigger squeeze. When I was a Yonker that really spun me up.

dun":2bbu2t1n said:
Stevens falling block 44 1/2, next would be Weatherby XXII, then a BSA Martini match rifle. But that owuld exclude the Winchester 69A, Ithaca Model 49 and can;t exclude the T/C Contender with a 12 inch barrel. Too many to choose from, it takes a pretty crasppy 22 to be a bad one. My first was a Mossberg 642K semiauto (sometimes) The reason it was sometimes was after about 50 rounds down the barrel the sear would get worn and it would empty the clip with a single trigger squeeze. When I was a Yonker that really spun me up.

Figured you were the only one old enough to ever seen or shot a Rem 241. Winchester 62 was a mighty fine rifle as well. I love mine just can't put a scope on one.

Only 22 rifle I've ever owned is my grandad's old Remington Improved Model 6. About the size of a BB gun and still very accurate. Priceless !!!!!!!

I''ve had my Ruger 10/22 for 38 years, I bought it at walmart for $56.00 when I was 15. It has killed hundreds of squirrels, lots of possums etc and a bunch of cans.

It got to where it wouldn't shoot too good any more and I put a Green mountain bull barrel on it and floated it a few years ago and it is deadly again.

kenny thomas":1sxz7cvu said:
Got a Chipmunk that shots real good but also an Anshultz that ain't bad.

Now that's one eclectic collection of rifles :lol2: :lol2:

kenny thomas":t7g4dos5 said:
Worst thing is I really like the chipmunk better. Got a cricket also. Takes a man just to carry the Anshultz but have not shot it in 15 years.

You sound like my friend. He had a Savage 22 that shot lights out. Traded it in on a Weatherby 22 fancy as they come but the groups are about 50% bigger. :lol2:

BTW it's had to beat an Ahnshutz

I have a 22 springfield single shot bolt action that my dad gave me on my eight birthday.I know for a fact it's 60 yr old.I still take it down to the pond and shoot turtels.It has killed a many missouri tree rats. :) When I was seventeen I wrecked my truck and cracked the stock on it.So about 3 yrs ago I hand made a stock out of mesquette.Turned out good.Amazing!!
Best looking stock I have made though was out of bois d'arc.Beautiful color and grain.
Cal

Calman":34bbfegy said:
I have a 22 springfield single shot bolt action that my dad gave me on my eight birthday.I know for a fact it's 60 yr old.I still take it down to the pond and shoot turtels.It has killed a many missouri tree rats. :) When I was seventeen I wrecked my truck and cracked the stock on it.So about 3 yrs ago I hand made a stock out of mesquette.Turned out good.Amazing!!
Best looking stock I have made though was out of bois d'arc.Beautiful color and grain.
Cal

Cal if you are not going to post pictures you have to stop making me drool like this. Email me some pics of those stocks please.

LRTX1":2fa140yz said:

Either one of those will just make you wish you had a gun. Hogs are tough.

jedstivers":jwp7goya said:
LRTX1":jwp7goya said:

Either one of those will just make you wish you had a gun. Hogs are tough.

It's all about the placement. I don't care to kill em....at least not right away. I'd rather gut shot em and let em die somewheres else.

Calman, I'd like to see those stocks also!
I feel that any animal worth killing also is worth killing cleanly. Then again I don't have the disdain for hogs some of you guys do. That's just me though. Both the 17 and the 22mag are good rounds for varmint hunting, and yes they will kill a hog quickly with good shot placement.