Belted Galloways

Help Support CattleToday:

I guess you have belted galloway x solid galloway crosses then, not purebred belted galloways. It is impossible to knock a belt off in one gen if one of the parents is a purebred belted galloway. Even a colorful longhorn can't knock a belt off.

Its like a red angus bull mated a red angus cow and they had a black calf.

No muddy she was pure beltie. Jeeeeesh. I will post some pics later. She was a beautiful cow. Not everything is a absolute. Funny how color patterns here upset the mojo

AF I don't know about belties there are none anywhere near me I just want to see what they look like after being mixed with no belt so don't think im challenging what you say cause I have no clue.

AllForage":2tkvae8r said:
No muddy she was pure beltie. Jeeeeesh. I will post some pics later. She was a beautiful cow. Not everything is a absolute. Funny how color patterns here upset the mojo
Sounds like she was a crossbred then. Not try to upset ya.

Rahe Family Belties":24xxxfrr said:
You might be surprised how many Belties are found in Texas and other southern states.
They handle the heat very well.
You can access a breeder list and information on numbers at the CLRC website where we register our cattle.
Info on the breed can be found at beltie.org

The belt is especially strong. I have had several calves out of Angus or black crossbred cows and every one has a belt, or at least clear indications of a belt. It is usually a full belt too. I respectfully disagree that any bull can consistently 'knock the belt off them in one generation'
Sure we have small herds scattered around. Really pretty in a pasture full of green grass but as I said earlier, you know you're going to take a beating when you sell them unless you can sell to another breeder so be sure you buy them at a cheap price or raise them. A lot like the ol' purebred longhorns. They too look good in a pasture but are docked heavily at a sale.

Muddy":2gig20aa said:
I guess you have belted galloway x solid galloway crosses then, not purebred belted galloways. It is impossible to knock a belt off in one gen if one of the parents is a purebred belted galloway. Even a colorful longhorn can't knock a belt off.

Its like a red angus bull mated a red angus cow and they had a black calf.

i had a solid black cow and a solid black 'balancer' bull.. she gave birth to a 100% blonde calf. huh? haha

ddd75":1c384yzw said:
i had a solid black cow and a solid black 'balancer' bull.. she gave birth to a 100% blonde calf. huh? haha

For this situation there is a perfectly reasonable explanation, both are heterozygous black/red and Balancers might just carry Gelbvieh colour genetics...

In the case of the Belted Galloway cow having a non belted cow by a Anxiety 4th Hereford bull; well the only explanation was that, despite being puere bred the cow was heterozygous for belting. The strong prepotency of the Hereford do not change heritability for basic colour genetics.

The size and shape of the belt is an unknown in the breed. The belt itself is exceedingly strong, regardless of shape or width. The thing is, it is unclear if the belt trait is really a homo or heterozygous deal.

I have a purebred heifer out of purebred belted parents that came out pure black. The cow throws a black calf every other year despite purebred parentage for many generations(at least 5 on the pedigree).

This heifer will have purebred belted calves when mated to a pb bull. I expect them to be properly marked.

As I mentioned earlier, a sale barn is a bad place to take niche cattle. If you see some there (that aren't mini stock) you better buy them. Heifers are high and steers make excellent table fair.

If it was easier to post pix on this site I would gladly share images of beltie cross cattle and their beef products that I sell.

Rahe Family Belties":2i7jmj12 said:
The size and shape of the belt is an unknown in the breed. The belt itself is exceedingly strong, regardless of shape or width. The thing is, it is unclear if the belt trait is really a homo or heterozygous deal.

I have a purebred heifer out of purebred belted parents that came out pure black. The cow throws a black calf every other year despite purebred parentage for many generations(at least 5 on the pedigree).

This heifer will have purebred belted calves when mated to a pb bull. I expect them to be properly marked.

As I mentioned earlier, a sale barn is a bad place to take niche cattle. If you see some there (that aren't mini stock) you better buy them. Heifers are high and steers make excellent table fair.

If it was easier to post pix on this site I would gladly share images of beltie cross cattle and their beef products that I sell.
Majority of belted galloway cattle are homozygous for the belted gene tho there are very few heterozygous ones. A homozygous belted galloway will give you 100% belted calf every time and a heterozygous belted galloway give you either a belted calf or a solid calf.

Or whatever markings the other breed brings, for example a white head or a skunkstripe.

Ok guys and gals (and any of you suffering from asperbergers syndrome) here are a few pics for enjoyment. IF y'all say I am full of shyt and she has solid Galloway in her past then I will gladly concede. Won't change my life or change my plans for the day. I will tell you that the hair gets knocked off all my Galloway crosses. Cant tell any difference between them and angus steers come winter up here. This girl was turned into burger at 11 years old and was probably good for 5 more. Just irritated me that we could not tag her calves at birth and all I wanted to see in my fields was red and white :) She was the last of my Galloways to go. Made me very good money. Most of her steers hung out around 615 off grass and her heifers were a bit less.

These pics were a few of her calves. I guess my point was Sky that money can be made from them. Can you imagine what a load of those panda calves would bring at the barn??? Better bend over a barrel for that one :)

Got a guy near me starting to breed the Pandas you mention.
Using a Mini Herf bull on Beltie cows.
Expects to get good money for them as breeding stock for hobby farms.

Real good money to be made in purebred Belties, just not through a sale barn.

ANAZAZI":3a3fs8gv said:
Or whatever markings the other breed brings, for example a white head or a skunkstripe.
Saw a calf with all three combos one time at the exotic sale. Skunk tailed belted white faced calf....out of a pinzgauer x Hereford dam and belted galloway sire.

Panda heifers/cows bring very good money even at the sale barn since there will be always some folks want a display cow.

Muddy":c554t4ow said:
Panda heifers/cows bring very good money even at the sale barn since there will be always some folks want a display cow.

if im ever at an auction with a panda it will probably come home with me.

Posted for RFB

belt%201_zpssesqvtmv.jpg

This calf is out of a Maine X cow
He weighed 1180 at our county fair and was reserve crossbred
Highest placing bred and owned steer there.
He gained 3.8 pounds a day on feed.
Killed at 11 1/2 months weighing 1180

belt%202_zpsvtw7is3b.jpg

Same calf at 6 weeks of age(on right) other calf is out of an Angus and is a month old.

belt%203_zpsfxeltwci.jpg

Untrimmed porterhouse steaks from the steer above. Low choice, yield grade 1 carcass

belt%204_zpsipdavhfx.jpg

Beltie xAngus steer Killed at 11 1/2 months weighing 1200 Full belt

belt%205_zpsnhsgllny.jpg

Full brother to first steer Born July 2, 2014. 205 day weight just under 800 pounds
This pic at about 5 months

those 'panda' calves would go for pounder prices around here

You'll always have a few people who want to have some of them. Some folks still own emu's too and swear the have a market. :shock: And they probably do but it's limited in size or everybody would be buying htem.

TexasBred":1ohkjhkn said:
You'll always have a few people who want to have some of them. Some folks still own emu's too and swear the have a market. :shock: And they probably do but it's limited in size or everybody would be buying htem.
Or that they're still stuck in their mindset from listening to the old timers at the sale barn.

Muddy":vpgxdqzr said:
TexasBred":vpgxdqzr said:
Or that they're still stuck in their mindset from listening to the old timers at the sale barn.
You can simply sit and watch the beating they take when they sell down this way. May be better in some places but not here. But they do look pretty in a field of green grass.

Latest posts