Belt Balers

Help Support CattleToday:

Earl Thigpen

Reaction score
I just got my first round baler that uses belts instead of chains. My question is how much wiggle room do I have to reconnect the ends of the belts. Can I cut about an inch off the ends and reconnect or do I have to buy a whole new belt? Service manuals are on their way but I thought I would get a jump on repairing a couple of belts. They are not completly undone but there's a couple of clips loose and I just don't want the belt to come loose while I'm trying to bale.

The length of the belts is pretty specific. What is frequently done around her if it's just the ends that are FUBAR is to cut off both ends and just add a section to the ends to get them at the right length. The clips are the pricey part when doing it that way, but it's a lot cheaper then a whole new belt.

Earl Thigpen":22g2sprs said:
I just got my first round baler that uses belts instead of chains. My question is how much wiggle room do I have to reconnect the ends of the belts. Can I cut about an inch off the ends and reconnect or do I have to buy a whole new belt? Service manuals are on their way but I thought I would get a jump on repairing a couple of belts. They are not completly undone but there's a couple of clips loose and I just don't want the belt to come loose while I'm trying to bale.

I agree with dun in that they are pretty specific. Sometimes, however, I have found that the belts will stretch a little with age, and you can cut a little off and still be at the proper length. Only way to know is to get the specs on how long the belt is supposed to be, measure what you got, and cut accordingly.

You can cut off enough to square the ends never know the defence. Your tension device and stretch will weaken enough to allow for it. Ever few year should take the belts off and cut all to same length and put new ends on or lace.

I have a New Holland and though I can't remeber the numbers off hand they do give you some leaway as far as the belt lengths not being totally even. Another thing is if you haven't already, get yourself a belt lacer. You see how it works is, if the nearest dealer that does belt lacing is closed from noon on Saturday untill 7AM on Monday, and you live 30 minutes away, you will break a belt at about 11:15 AM on Saturday. Not nearly enough time to take the belt off and get to town. :nod:

Another tip to keeping those belts lasting a long time is to either shed or cover the baler when its not in use for long periods of time. UV kills belts.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":194phftt said:
Another tip to keeping those belts lasting a long time is to either shed or cover the baler when its not in use for long periods of time. UV kills belts.

Rod

I agree. I also take the tension off my belts when not in use.

Latest posts