Beginning rancher update - Long

Help Support CattleToday:

Welp CopeMan,,we can usually figure out ways to do our stuff without a tractor. Takes a bit of thinking and creativity,,but i believe things are gonna end up working out fine.

The tractors i've owned in past have ended up sittin' still bout 98% of the time anyways,,lol,,

I can understand there are ways of getting around using a tractor. But what about cutting and baling hay? If you have them why not use them?

Copeman,,,good question. it's been a long time since i've cut and baled hay,,,and think i may not ever do it again - not in the immediate future anyways.

Most recently,,we haven't had to feed any hay at all,,and if there's a need in the future, hay can be be bought for a reasonable price around these parts. There's fellers around here that have plenty of good equipment that'll cut and bale hay.,,and i figure i'd just as soon pay them to do it at less that what i can do myself.

Now, i recognize that everybody's operation is different, but - with the way my operation is run - having a tractor just to cut and bale my own hay doesn't make any financial sense to me - especially during those years when it's not needed at all.

Latest posts