Been a rough night here, bad wreck right out front, bad

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Guess I just want to get this in words somewhere.....
I was all ready to drive up to Tyler late tonight, to have breakfast with the Fiero show Ruckus crew, but just decided at the last minute not to go. Dunno why I changed my mind, been looking forward to it for months. Maybe next year. Went out to the shop to lock up, and that's when I heard the noise out on the highway--thought it was just a 18 wheeler or logging truck going over the River bridge--it's a bumpy approach and exit off the bridge. A little while later, maybe 15 minutes, I saw the reflection of the emergency lights against the tall pines, so I got in the truck and drove up to the nearest highway, which is an S curve--20mph signs on yellow diamonds. One ambulance already there, one deputy.

I didn't see the involved vehicle, so I parked on the side of dirt road I was on,, and walked down the blacktop toward the lights to see if I could help--to see if it was a neighbor or friend. Encountered first, what looked like the hood of an suv of some kind, then a wheel and tire, with half the rear axle housing still attached, lots of can goods, a bag of charcoal--cans looked like tuna or chicken and soup. Then saw the 3 prostate bodies lying there in the ditch with more being pulled from "something" a little further up the ditch, kinda out in the pines. EMTs are working on them as they are brought out. More ambulances arrived, a fire truck--state troopers and more deputies. A one vehicle accident, travelling toward[ the direction I had just walked from. The meaning of that didn't hit me at first. All teenagers--young looking. Boys and girls--looked about 16 yrs old, hispanic I think. I saw no adults--saw no alcohol containers strewn in the mess. Heard someone say "Lifeflight 14 minutes out--where?" Someone else: "Up at the intersection--Valero parking lot, we'll clear it" and off they went.

"There's another one!", I looked up, and a kid is standing there, bloody, dazed--holding something hairy in a sweater. Thought--That's #6 and 7--"God don't let that be a baby". It wasn't--a small dog in a pet sweater--leaking some ugly looking fluid out both ends, especially from it's nose. The boy wouldn't sit down--"I'm fine, I have her dog" He's in shock. He sits finally, beside the stretcher holding a young girl--she looks "swollen" in her face compared to the rest of her body. Right arm either missing or twisted around behind her back. "I don't want to know".
EMTs are doing their thing and a female trooper asks if I can help her a minute. We walk back down to the vehicle hood I hd passed, and under her light, I realize it isn't just the hood, but the roof, front fender, part of the rerar qtr and rear bumper . May have been the front bumper, I just couldn't tell. Officer asked me to lift up a piece of sheet metal so she could write down the lic plate #. I did, then walked further back down the other way and looked at the vehicle itself. Upside down, no roof, hood or rear end. Twisted, muddy, impaled on a pine tree, and I glanced down the road at it's path, and it hit me, that the metal and wheel, as well as all the canned goods I first encountered on my walk down had been thrown 100' from the point of impact. The occupants never saw the curve-never turned the wheel to make the curve--left the blacktop just as the S curve began. It had been raining a little earler, but only lightly. "What the blazes happened here?--adeer run out--a hog--fell asleep--what?"

Walked back over to see if the EMTs needed help lifting, and found the young boy with the dog still there beside the stretcher--EMTs trying to get him to set the dog on the ground so they can treat him for shock and ?--he's bloody as the dickens. He keeps looking down at the girl.

I hear someone say "Young fellow, why don't you let me take care of the puppy for you--I got dogs of my own he's probably going to need a vet and I live just 1/4 mile from here, if not for the trees, you could see my house right thru there. I'll make sure he gets the best care there is,..... I promise".
I sighed deeply, and couldn't believe those words had come from my own mouth. He handed me the miserable looking ball of fur, said "We aren't from around here, how will I find you?"
Again words just came out "You won't have to, I'll find you, but the officers will have my name and address".
I take the puppy, backtrack to the truck, open the back door and find a chambray shirt, wrap it up and lay it in my lap as I one arm back down the dirt road and go to the house, layin on the horn as I turn in the dirve. Jane comes out. "In the bedroom, a pasteboard box--dump it and bring it here" as I get out of the truck. She meets me on the porch with the box, I look at the dog for the first time in good light and realize it is some kind of Yorkie type. Take it in the kitchen, cut the sweater off of it, cut the collar off and look at the tag. Rabies tag, with a heart and a girl name inside the heart "Sheila.
Well Sheila, let's see about you. Breathing, shallow. Almost a rasp. Head moves, back end moves, tail no wag. Front legs are limp--like they're broken-they don't move. Feel it's abdomen, and ribs, count the ribs--no breaks. Nothing pink or prple hanging out anywhere--that's good. There's a Ph # on the rabies tag. I call it-hesitantly--'don't let this be the family". It's a recording for a veterinary clinic in Missouri City Texas--about 65 miles from here, on the other side of Houston. No after hours #. I start to clean Sheila up some, took it's pic, gave it a 1 cc shot of LA-200 antibiotics I have for the calves. Was going to wait it out till morning, but remembered my promise, decided against it and told Jane to "find me an after hours vet." Found 2, one in Conroe--one in Humble. Conroe's closer, but Humble is quicker- all 4 lane. Jane calls them back, tells them we're on our way. I throw on a clean shirt, go out to clean out the back seat for the box, and see Lifelflight swing accross the end of the pasture on final. "That's a long 14 minutes" I think, then realize it probaly wasn't the first one. We take off, and get to the blacktop and find the traffic is halted so Lifeflights can get in and out up the hill from there. Female trooper walks over, asks how the puppy is and I tell her "Not so good-I's good with cows--not so much with dogs and I need to get it to the vet in Humble." She motions me thru.
We get to the top of the hill just as the helo has lifted. 2 Ambulances are still there, doors open, empty now. Tried not to think of the faces I had just seen earlier. Wrecker passes us on it's way down the hill.

We get to the vets faster than I really should have been driving. It's 11:30pm, and there are 4 people in a line at the window inside. I get the box with Sheila, and follow Jane in. She cuts to the front of th line--"We're here with the dog from the wreck". Girl #1 in line starts to say something, looks down in the box and backs away. I hand them the collar and tag I cut off and they take the pup right back, while I get a clipboard with the usual paperwork.
I walk out to the truck, drop the tailgate, and have my first cig since i walked up on the wreck.

Paperwork.
My name, address, ph #s,email. Patient's name, age, gender, owner, allergies. ???????????
Bottom above signature line says "$150 initial ER exam".
"responsible party:"
Sigh........I promised.
After about 30 minutes, the doc calls us in. I fear the worst. Not "too bad". "Nothing broken with just a physical exam but Xrays will tell more. The puppy has suffered neurological trauma to it's head tho--front legs aren't working-no reflex to physicl stimuli. She asks if I know if it hit something in the wreck. I remember the canned goods and car parts slung so far from the impact point. Yeah, probably hit several 'somethings"--hard.
She tells me they will get her cleaned up, give it some pain meds and take some Xrays and will keep her and attempt to find the owner. Also said there was another name on the backside of the tag and same name on the collar--the dog's name is really Isabelle. Who then, is Sheila?
I think of the girl on the stretcher with the arm.......

Doc called about 2am. Dog is resting and they'll know more tomorrow. They were able to notify the family of the dog's owner, but family was understandably so distraught at everything that had happened, the Doc just told them as little as necessary. Doc had tracked them down with help from Hiway Patrol which also said all occupants are in critial condition--some here at the local hospital--some in Houston at the trauma center downtown. I'll check on dog and people tomorrow (well, later today now)

Isabelle:
v0op.jpg

I had to watch old yeller get shot just to cheer me up a little after reading that, ahhhh.

I second what Jo said, you did good GB. If that little girl makes it, that puppy being around is going to mean a lot and if that puppy can move it's back legs, I bet it pulls through with time. :clap:

Nice job! That'll mean alot to that young girl if she pulls through if course. Maybe she'll have some piece of mind knowing that her dog is taken care of though..

Great job GB. Its hard to know how a person will react in times like those. I think you did the best you could do. Good luck

Had to be pretty emotional for you. Similar accident happened Friday morning. Neighbor at the farm called and informed of a bad wreck at intersection. said a car was over the fence. I got into the truck and headed there. A pickup had come out of the intersection and a motorcyclist had tried to avoid the collision but did not make it. When I got there the motorcycle was wedged up against a tree in the fence row. EMT personnel was getting the motorcyclist on the board to try to get him into the ambulance to stabilize him he was able to tell them his name. A fireman told us to get back they were landing a helicopter in the intersection. I told him I had the gate open less then 50 yards away and land it in the pasture which they did. They drove the ambulance there and after some discussion decide to go to the nearest hospital as they were having a time stabilizing him. They left and the helicopter took off. Later I found out the motorcyclist was killed. We never know when we get up whether it will be our last day on earth or not.

jdman1952":ngyge8b3 said:
Great job GB. Its hard to know how a person will react in times like those. I think you did the best you could do. Good luck

And please keep us posted on conditions.

Talk about good people doing good things, this is a pretty good example. Things like this are where doing nothing wouldn't have been wrong, but doing what you did was actually going out of your way to help someone who needed it, like people should do but often don't.

denvermartinfarms":3iz4zca0 said:
Talk about good people doing good things, this is a pretty good example. Things like this are where doing nothing wouldn't have been wrong, but doing what you did was actually going out of your way to help someone who needed it, like people should do but often don't.
Well said dmf and well done gb.

I can't add to what has already been said greybeard .
I pray they all pull through and that Isabelle and Sheila can spend many more happy years together .

hooknline":3gkv7iu3 said:
Dammit, I hate hearing things like that.

X2, I don't handle things well when kids are involved and hurt! You're a good man GB, it's just a sad deal .... I hate kids getting their life shortened or the chance of.

Another long post I guess.

Thank you all. There's not a person in this thread or on this forum that wouldn't have done the same and probably more under similar circumstances, and I'm pretty sure everyone already has at some time or another in their lives. If not, you will. It's just human nature. In spite of what else we may say or do to each other all the rest of the time, when bad things happen, humans do try to pull together to help as they can.

Some updates.
Tonight, the puppy is doing well. Some bruising behind one eye, some damage in it's neck, and yet un-determined neurological problems--"possible swelling" in the brain. The vet is unsure if the motor problems with it's front legs is permanent or not, or if it's caused by the brain swelling or by the neck damage. I found something out earlier today about veterinary medicine that I did not previously know. Even tho I had brought the dog in, and accepted financial responsibility for the costs, because I had stated I was not the owner, they could or would not begin a real treatment program for it other than to stabilize it and minimize pain. I don't know if that is a widespread policy or just one this business has adopted. Nor, would they be able to release the dog back to me, even if the owners didn't contact them. It would have to go thru an approved adoption outfit.
Turned out to be a moot point.

The owners of the puppy--or relatives of them:
As of 11 am this morning, the vet had not been able to find the owners, and asked if I could look into it locally. I went to the hospital where some of the occupants were taken, and had to go to the Emergency Room desk since it was Sunday morning and of course, not being family, and not even having a name, I could not find anything out, even after explaining why I was seeking information. Understandable due to privacy policy at the hospital and I already knew that was the normal procedure. The girl behind the desk was kinda rude IMO, and wouldn't even take my name & Ph# to give to the family. Said they would not be able to give any info to the vet either. She wouldn't even confirm anyone had been brought in, saying "well, there's no one here this morning that was here last night so we wouldn't know" tho I know for a fact they were taken there because the EMTs told me they were except the 2 that helo'd to Houston. I guess computers and pen and paper haven't made their way to Big Town of Cleveland Texas yet.
A dead end.

I was able to find out who they were tho--kinda. I returned to the accident scene, still strewn with all kinds of crap including stuff from inside the vehicle--I started looking around it and I really felt "dirty" about doing this. Luckily, the first piece of paper I picked up was a receipt from where the vehicle had had an oil change and safety/emission inspection less than 1 yr ago in a town about 100 miles from here--between Houston and Galveston. Had the vehicle owner's name, address, make & model, lic plate # and Ph # on it and date/time stamp. Tried to call it, got a voice mail recording from a drywall company. I left a short message for them to call me or the vet "concerning a dog that had been in an accident near Cleveland Texas". Waited an hour and then on shaky ethics ground, I did forward that info to the vet except for the vehicle info. There are tons of drywall companies around, and this one didn't show up on an internet search, so I figured it was one of many small companies who just work out of their homes.

The vet called me earlier tonight to say they were able to contact the people late today using the info I gave them, and they were able to begin a real treatment for the dog.

Folks--Thank you for the kind offers regarding sharing the vet costs, but that, according to the vet, has been taken care of by the folks the vet contacted. Vet did give them my contact information, but the reality is, I may very well never hear from them, or see the puppy again. They have much more important things to deal with right now for sure. I'm good with that--kinda. Haunting images of people that suddenly enter your life for an instant and never again seen or heard from again...............How DO the EMTs do this???????

I'm one of those people, who wonders about things a lot. Why? How? did this happen? And this one, more so than most other things--probably because of the ages I saw--or thought I saw. When we are very young, even people in their 20s look and seem "old". Inversely, as we get older (much older in my case) everyone a lot younger than us look like kids. Last night I guessed 16-17, 20 yrs old at the most tho they could all be in their early/mid 20s--but it didn't seem that way last night, especially the young guy holding the puppy and the young lady on the stretcher he was so "protective" of. Sister--girlfriend--best friend? I'll never know. I do think that holding on to the puppy was an anchor to a reality that no longer existed, and he was just hesitant to let it go, especially to an old grey haired stranger. I'll never forget his face tho, or that of the beautiful young lady on the stretcher.

The vehicle,according to the receipt, was a 2001 Land Cruiser Discovery, tho I would never had guessed it last night. The notes on the receipt stated 90% tread life on the tires, and it evidently passed emissions/safety with no issues 9 months ago. In daylight this morning, I was able to see better than in the dark, and was better able to see where the accident started and ended. They did actually get part way thru the curve after all, but it happened in the 'gentle' part of the curve. They were entering the back or bottom end of the "s". I have more than once, seen people going the opposite way, exit that S curve partly or all in the lane this vehicle was travelling in. Were they forced off the road by a big truck or car in their lane and hit the ditch to avoid a head on?? Don't know. Jane & I stopped at Dennys last night after the vet visit and had breakfast, and counted 7 different accidents that have happened in that S curve since we've been in our present home, (since 2009) tho 2 of them were people driving up the side road, that blew right thru the stop sign and ended up in the woods across the blacktop. One of those happened just last week. Two of the previous accidents involved fatalities and there is one of those memorial crosses that survivors put up, within sight of where this accident took place. The curve is well marked by TxDoT, with the orange Diamond signs with a reduced speed of 20 mph, reflective double stripe center lines are less than 1 yr old, and there is a series of reflectors on tall metal poles in the ditch, indicating the curve and how long it is. The state and county have done about all that can be reasonably expected. Normal speed limit on that road is 55mph. Just 1 lane East one lane West, no paved shoulder, very little dirt shoulder, then a wide shallow grass ditch ending in National Forest. Standard for this area--we don't see a lot of traffic on this road--almost all locals, as it is an interconnecting road, not really a "road TO" somewhere.

Of course, I didn't take any pics last night--that would be something I couldn't fathom, but I did take a few this morning, and they are telling. I'll try to get them uploaded and you will readily see the severity of the impacts. (note that is plural--something I didn't realize last night)

Latest posts