Beefy

Help Support CattleToday:

when we moved this ranch to texas from nevada we got two beefmaster bulls. boy was that a mistake.(sp) we pulled calves for a year or until i could get angus bulls. since then we have only pulled two calves. fwiw

Unlike other breeds (sarcasm), beefmaster bulls tend to be either easy calving, hard calving, or average calving, depending on the bull. We use a low birth weight epd bull on our heifers and havent pulled a calf from a heifer in several years. Having said that, we have in the past had to pull several beefmaster calves out of heavily influenced limousin heifers, charolais heifers, and angus heifers. so if you dont have the papers and havent seen calves out of him you might want to get him away from the heifers. if they are good sized heifers and/or have any brahman in them they will probably be fine. better to be safe than sorry though.

G&L Cattle":1hglkg0a said:
Our neighbor's bull is visiting our cows. He is Beefmaster. Not registered, but fullblood. How are beefmaster bulls as far as calving. On heifers?

thanks,
GW

I'd give your cows an injection of Lutylase to abort them... IMHO.

As far as Beefmasters go, one of our local ranchers bought one of our Longhorn Bulls last year to breed to his beefmaster cows--- their BM bull caused 26 calves to be pulled, one cow died. This spring, the LH Bull that bred his BM cows had 100% "No Pulls"!

Finally, need a hotter wire or bigger fence-- any neighbor's bull, regardless of how great, that gets into one's herd uninvited is guilty of "Criminal Tresspass" (in Texas, that's a shooting offense...LOL.)

endebt":2rhrax1r said:
when we moved this ranch to texas from nevada we got two beefmaster bulls. boy was that a mistake.(sp) we pulled calves for a year or until i could get angus bulls. since then we have only pulled two calves. fwiw

We had NOTHING but trouble last Year. I could darn near write a book on it.Pulled Calves, Lost Cows.I can't condemn all Beefmaster's but we had a rank one as far as I beleive Genetic-wise.Beleive it or not, I had Never had to pull a Calf, using Brangus bulls, or Angus.

Our cows are all brahma influenced crosses, mainly Simbrah and Beefmaster. Heifers are out of Brangus bull. The neighbor is a very nice man with a similar herd and has had no calving problems with his young Beefmaster bull. I dont think I want him on my heifers though!

G&L

There are some jugheads out there. i would want something with less ear on those type heifers if they were mine too.

For those of you who had nothing but headaches what were the birth weights and bwepds for the bulls you were using. and what were their bloodlines?

Best to use beefmaster cows on those beefmaster bulls or trouble follows.

Dick

icandoit":3pn4dabq said:

Dick

Couldnt disagree with you more. Its best to pick out quality bulls of any breed that will minimize calving difficulty and whos offspring will have high weaning and yearling weights. calved out 41 heifers last year bred to beefmasters bulls. pulled one calf last year from a 9 year old cow and it was from an angus bull and breech. calving out 54 heifers this year bred to a beefmaster bull and knock on wood no problems so far with deliveries.

icandoit wrote:

Dick
Couldnt disagree with you more. Its best to pick out quality bulls of any breed that will minimize calving difficulty and whos offspring will have high weaning and yearling weights. calved out 41 heifers last year bred to beefmasters bulls. pulled one calf last year from a 9 year old cow and it was from an angus bull and breech. calving out 54 heifers this year bred to a beefmaster bull and knock on wood no problems so far with deliveries.

Beefy, understand completly what your saying. I guess I should have explained more. My MIL's five cows are fairly small, 1000#or so. Her neighbor has beefmaster's and when MIL's cows came into heat, neighbors beefmaster just busted through 5 wire barbed fence and got to them each time. Ended up having to pull everyone of em. The looks on those cows faces when we were pulling was kinda like " get this thing outta me". :lol: Also, my buddy seems to have the same problem over at his place. Don't know if that really means to keep beefmaster to beefmaster , but it sure seems so. Anyway, we invested in a hot wire seperating neighbors fence from MIL's and everything seems to be working for now. But in reality, I think if a big ol beefmaster bull wants to get to a cow, nothing is going to stop him except a cement wall. I do love the look of the beefmaster breed though. Just preference I guess. Bottom line is, keep the big guys away from the small girls it seems to me :).

Dick

Latest posts