A new baby...Go ahead and look Beefy!

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy of Texas

Reaction score
No it's not a paint this time. This is one of the sale barn heifers I bought last Aug.
sept.022007049.jpg

I know now why someone sold her. . She was bred when I bought her. This is her calf . She had him Apr.29.

P1080146.jpg

That calf looks small, have you weighed it?

At least the heifer has milk, with enough milk even small calves grow big. Was he sired by a longhorn bull?

Looks like just a big mama to me...calf has a little ear so could be anything. Those type calves usually hit the ground growing....Both are very nice.

Nice heifer Joy. I would like a little bit stronger rear-udder attachment for a 2 yr old but other than that she looks great. I have to say that is also a good looking calf and I don't think small at all for a heifer. Looks like you did very well with your purchase. Why do you think they sold her ;what don't you like about her?

Is she prolapsing? looks like something under the tail. I think the calf is cute enough. Your calves are always cute :)

thats just her vulva. i bet she'll make a nice cow Joy. that little calf probably shot out clear across the pasture with one push, lol!

She was just barely bred when you got her, I bet they probably didn't even know unless they actually witnessed the breeding. Fine heifer and calf though anyway. They will do good.

That is just what you want for a heifer, small calf, easy birth, plenty of milk. Now the heifer will rebreed on time and be a good producer for many years. Congrats on doing it right. :D

hillsdown":2esudb7g said:
Nice heifer Joy. I would like a little bit stronger rear-udder attachment for a 2 yr old but other than that she looks great. I have to say that is also a good looking calf and I don't think small at all for a heifer. Looks like you did very well with your purchase. Why do you think they sold her ;what don't you like about her?
I'm not sure this heifer/cow is a 2 yr old. When I bought her in Aug.07 she weighed 695 lbs. I think they sold her ,because she got bred by a crap shot bull. Or they thought she got bred to young. Hillsdown,I do like her. I do think her teats are a little small. But she is doing a great job taking care of that calf. I do believe she will make a good cow . She has just enough brahma in her.
Yes,I weighed the calf. He weighed 60 lbs. To me he doesn't look all that little. Beefy is right. She's not prolapsing. She's just big in the rear. She had the calf all on her on. I wasn't there for this one.

Joy...I'll take both...no questions asked. You've hit a home run on this "open heifer". :clap: :clap: :clap:

Victoria":32rlcqdc said:
What a cute baby, they sure look like a mismatched pair! :D
LOL I know I thought the same thing. So I would take it the calf is Angus or maybe brangus. I don't know .

Thank you Texasbred. When I saw her at the auction that day. I just liked the way she looked. I told my husband she is coming home with me. I checked her over pretty good. No physical problems that I could see. After a couple of weeks here at the house I had her eating out of my hand. She has a very gentle nature about her.

nice looking heifer an coupon.she will do a fine job raising her calf.now joy you do know at weaning time to put them both on the trailer.an get you a good reg beefmaster pair/bred cow.

How much do you think she weighs now? I wouldn't have guessed the calf that small in #s, but he looks okay to me. got a couple of first calf heifers last year with small teats and udders and their calves grew fine, plus the udders hold up good. Your pictures always look so nice, I've never seen a beefmaster around here. Can't wait to see the updates this summer. donna

Thanks Donna,all of the beefmaster calves are going up fast. I'll post some more pictures of them in a few weeks.
As for this cow I would guess she weighs maybe 800-850 lbs. I know she has alot of growing to do. I know she did grow height wise last year. She was kind of short when I first got her.
I am very please with this cow. She is such a good mama. The calf is doing great. Maybe it's the way I took the picture or something. He doesn't look small to me either.