Beefmaster

Help Support CattleToday:

C HOLLAND

Reaction score
I may purchase 2 very nice looking Beefmaster Heifers.

I was wondering how do they do at the barn in this part of the country, I will probally AI or use my Black Angus bull on them, ???? is angus a good choice for a terminal sire for them.

Trail boss, I live in central alabama. We had a Beefmaster mama for about three years and loved her. We didn't get her as a heifer but she'd had one calf when we purchased her. Gave us two quality beautiful calves but then had trouble breeding back the last year. Still, we made about $100 more from her calves than the others simply because they were bigger. Our beefmaster was a 1600 pounder and produced big healthy calves.

She was a great mama and produced so much milk that she'd allow the other calves to get a drink once in a while and still produced a huge calf. When we took her to Auburn once for shots, they said she was the biggest cow they'd ever had in the shoot before!

We'd buy beefmaster again, though now we have all black.

they would work great in your area.b/c of the long hot summers.but i have no idea what they would do at the sale barn.yes angus would work on them.as a matter of fact it would probly turn the calves hide black.im in the process of getting into reg beefmasters.but this drought is slowing things down.

C HOLLAND":1n91kw5m said:
I may purchase 2 very nice looking Beefmaster Heifers.

I was wondering how do they do at the barn in this part of the country, I will probally AI or use my Black Angus bull on them, ???? is angus a good choice for a terminal sire for them.
breeding them too the angus bull is a good idea. calves should sale good too

Hill Creek Farm":jv6x3h0g said:
Noooooooo, don't breed them to a Angus bull, you will ruin the calves! HA! HA! :cboy:
I know your just kidding. but the calves will do better bred to a angus than back too a beefmaster. but a hereford bull on those heifer's would do great also

ALACOWMAN":22md6avn said:
Hill Creek Farm":22md6avn said:
Noooooooo, don't breed them to a Angus bull, you will ruin the calves! HA! HA! :cboy:
I know your just kidding. but the calves will do better bred to a angus than back too a beefmaster. but a hereford bull on those heifer's would do great also

I may try one with a Hereford bull via AI , I have some KCF Victor semen.

ALACOWMAN":1sj9ez1b said:
Hill Creek Farm":1sj9ez1b said:
Yes, a Hereford bull would work well on those heifers. Hope you make the right choice. :cboy:

C HOLLAND":55edh6zf said:
ALACOWMAN":55edh6zf said:
Hill Creek Farm":55edh6zf said:

I may try one with a Hereford bull via AI , I have some KCF Victor semen.
Boy, now that is a good bull. X4 is a powerful breeding bull and his daughters were really good as well. :cboy:

AlabamaQualityBeef":3tg4uul9 said:
Still, we made about $100 more from her calves than the others simply because they were bigger.

Thats alot of money. Did they calve at the same time? What kind of stock are you comparig them to.?

oscar p":8b6zd8u9 said:
I know black is where it's at. But the best calves I ever raised were Beefmaster cows with a Charolais bull.

There you go Oscar! You tell them buddy! :clap:

I would also vote for the Charolais bull for a terminal sire on Beefmaster cows. Try to stay away from the painted Beefmasters, though. You'll get enough painted calves, anyway.

100_0171.jpg

100_0197.jpg

VERY good calves!

I bet you had to pull every one of those calves didn't you? :lol:

MikeC":10onudxj said:
VERY good calves!

Not out of beefmaster cows :D

But if you use Angus on them you get great (black) replacement heifers .

Down in Florida there breeding beefmasters with Angus turned out some nice calves but lately people have been bringing down some of the club calves from up north and making people down here throw a fit saying it's not fair because they beefmasters can't compete with those type of calves

WORANCH":lb4bpb0n said:
MikeC":lb4bpb0n said:
VERY good calves!

Not out of beefmaster cows :D

But if you use Angus on them you get great (black) replacement heifers .

Could you use Red Angus on them and get great (red) replacement heifers also? :lol: :lol:

Latest posts