Beefmaster Bull Calf - what do you think

Help Support CattleToday:

HobbyFarm

Reaction score
5 months old

151322.jpg

151349.jpg

What do you think? The reason that I ask, as my "farm" is that of only a hobby. Is he too nice of a prospect of a bull, offer him back to the breeder/for sale, or should I just cut him and let him remain a hobby farm animal. I have sent photos to his breeder, but I want your opinion.

Kelly

sooknortex":1w862mez said:
Surely you jest?

No, I am asking a question. I did say "Is he"

I will be the first to say that I don't know about confirmation of cattle, but I do know about other species confirmation. I know for a fact that some beautiful examples of the breed were rendered useless for breeding by owners who did not know anything about structure.

If he is a crap bull, then just say he is a crap bull -

The "confirmation" world that I am in, when people ask a question, we answer - then explain why so that others can learn. I would like the opportunity to learn, so if he is a crap bull, can someone tell me why.

just an average calf. he looks lean and doenst have good enough muscling for a herdsire prospect in my opinion. how much does he weigh?

Husband figures 350, the photo didn't do him any favors in those photos. I will try to get better pictures of him today, better light. He is here because his mother didn't produce enough milk (so to the sale barn she went). Got him at a month old, bottle feed another month until he was eating enough grain/grass/hay.

He is fed 3 different Purina products a day, creep, grower gain sweet & a new to them product, a grower/developer (13% protein 5% fat) that to me looks like blown insulation. I do have to unload feed I will get the name of it. I have only the 4 calves, and in grain alone they eat 40 pounds a day. Should I give them more? He really doesn't look lean in "person" as I said the photo didn't do him justice as I look at them a second time.

thank you for your constructive criticism.

HobbyFarm":1303qxhu said:
Husband figures 350, the photo didn't do him any favors in those photos. I will try to get better pictures of him today, better light. He is here because his mother didn't produce enough milk (so to the sale barn she went). Got him at a month old, bottle feed another month until he was eating enough grain/grass/hay.

He is fed 3 different Purina products a day, creep, grower gain sweet & a new to them product, a grower/developer (13% protein 5% fat) that to me looks like blown insulation. I do have to unload feed I will get the name of it. I have only the 4 calves, and in grain alone they eat 40 pounds a day. Should I give them more? He really doesn't look lean in "person" as I said the photo didn't do him justice as I look at them a second time.

That is a good reason right there to castrate him. If his mama didn't have enough milk for him, I wouldn't want to be passing those genetics on.

By the way, he does look good for a bottle calf......

oh well in that case he looks alright, tho still not herd bull potential. i agree, thats his mothers poor milking ablility was his first strike.

that calf isnt a herd bull prospect.he doesnt have the qualities to make a herd bull in my eyes.cut him an feed him a little longer an send him to the sale.

grower/developer (13% protein 5% fat) that to me looks like blown insulation

It is Purina Red Springs.

I didn't get any pictures today, went hunting instead :D

This little guy was born May 16, so he is not quite 4 months old in these pics. He has great muscle and bone, but time will tell if he grows into all that leather. At weaning I will decide if he will stay as a comercial bull, or go as a steer. He walks and moves like a bull, has a great mother, who gave me a replacement heifer last year. It is hard as you start out, when you don't have several calves to compare. As you see more and more Beefmasters you will learn more and more.

In my opinion, your calf is not masculine enough, and lacks thickness and a rump. You can feed him into thickness, but I don't think you can muscle him up. My calf will be critisized for sheath and leather. Neither calf should be a Beefmaster herdsire. Good luck.

SSL13144.jpg

SSL13023.jpg

HobbyFarm":1aatfakl said:

when i look at one around this age, i think is that what i want in my calf crop.. hobby or not,you still want to show something for your efforts.

Thank you all so much! It is easy to see the difference now! I can only compare to what I have, he is the only beefmaster bull calf here. Seeing photos of others, helps a ton! Humm... cut & eat.

Will a bottle baby always be different than those who had the pleasure of staying with the cow? I think that I have worked hard to supplement, keep healthy, nurture of sort with these 4, I know for a fact that I have and are spending a ton of money to give them a balanced diet, still remaining free choice on the feed (for only about another week until they move to the big pasture). I don't think that I have done too bad, only owning calves for 6 months now, all bottle babies, and all survived despite the off (statistics). Largely part to many here with the long years of trial & error & my vet. Will I get another batch next spring - heck no! :lol:

TNMasterBeefProducer":1bxcbmqz said:
Yeah a bottle calf will never grow as good as one on the cow.

A properly raised bottle calf has every likelyhood of being as good of a calf and grow into as a good of a cow or bull as one raised by it's mother. The operative word is properly! It costs more then having the cow raising it and it's a lot more work, but it's done regularly by people that know what they are doing.

A bottle calf can be as good as a calf raised by mama. As said, it is a lot of work, and expense to raise one right. You look to have done fairly well with that calf. He looks good, not pot bellied and stunted, and I wouldn't be surprised if he weighed more than you think.

I have a (hopefully) bred heifer that I raised soley on the bottle last year. She weighed 450 lbs last fall at about 6 months, which is a bit lighter than the calves that were on the cow. But today she weighed 980 lbs, bigger than a number of the heifers that were raised by the cow. She isn't our biggest heifer, but she has done well. I will try to get a pic of her tomorrow and post it.

Latest posts