Beef Price Will Sizzle in 2012

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score

The current livestock glut is ending, as ranchers cull herds to mitigate rising feed costs. That means a big boost for live-cattle futures next year.

By MARSHALL ECKBLAD | Commodities Corner/Barron's | August 27, 2011

Live-cattle futures look primed to rally—once the industry bucks swelling supply.

The U.S. beef industry is currently dealing with the effects of a severe drought concentrated in the southern U.S. Plains. Ranchers across states such as Texas and Oklahoma are liquidating their herds at historically high rates, as grazing lands and water supplies dry up. That's expected to swell beef supplies in the near term, and keep a lid on live-cattle futures at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange—for now.

But to the chagrin of steak lovers, the glut of beef isn't likely to last.

Starting next year, supplies of slaughter-ready cattle should tighten, providing fuel for prices. Ranchers, who have shrunk their herds, will be left with fewer animals to sell. And since they've been selling off large numbers of young females, or heifers, many will have a smaller breeding herd to rebuild supplies.

"As we go into 2012 and 2013, we're seeing tighter and tighter supplies of valuable cattle to produce beef in this country," says John Nalivka, an economist at Sterling Marketing, an agricultural-advisory firm in Vale, Ore. "The fact is, we've continued to reduce the inventory, and we haven't been building herds."

If corn prices remain high into next year, beef supplies could tighten further. That's because feedlots where cattle are fattened before slaughter will trim their feed rations for animals, resulting in smaller animals. Higher feed costs also will discourage cattle producers from growing their herds and will saddle them with more mouths to feed.

Prices for live-cattle futures are reflecting the boom and bust in supplies. Live cattle for delivery in April closed Friday at $1.248 a pound, 8.3% above the contract for October delivery. Futures for fall delivery have sold off by more than 5% in the last ten days, as traders have adjusted to a report from the U.S. Department of Agriculture noting that 22% more cattle were moved from grazing land to feedlots in July than a year ago.

Due to soaring exports of U.S. beef, futures contracts for delivery this year aren't likely to fall much further. Export shipments of U.S. beef are up 25% for the year through June, and the USDA expects beef exports to keep rising for the rest of year and into 2012, as countries such as South Korea, Japan and Mexico gorge on American beef.

Beef is flowing quickly from U.S. shores thanks to a mix of steadily climbing grain prices and prolonged weakness in the U.S. dollar, due in large part to the Federal Reserve's efforts to stabilize the U.S. economy: A weak greenback makes U.S. meat look comparatively cheap abroad.

Come spring, slaughter rates could fall by as much as 5% below the level a year earlier...

more

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB500 ... BOL_twm_mw

Oldtimer":1769o2f1 said:

The current livestock glut is ending, as ranchers cull herds to mitigate rising feed costs. That means a big boost for live-cattle futures next year.

By MARSHALL ECKBLAD | Commodities Corner/Barron's | August 27, 2011

Live-cattle futures look primed to rally—once the industry bucks swelling supply.

The U.S. beef industry is currently dealing with the effects of a severe drought concentrated in the southern U.S. Plains. Ranchers across states such as Texas and Oklahoma are liquidating their herds at historically high rates, as grazing lands and water supplies dry up. That's expected to swell beef supplies in the near term, and keep a lid on live-cattle futures at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange—for now.

But to the chagrin of steak lovers, the glut of beef isn't likely to last.

Starting next year, supplies of slaughter-ready cattle should tighten, providing fuel for prices. Ranchers, who have shrunk their herds, will be left with fewer animals to sell. And since they've been selling off large numbers of young females, or heifers, many will have a smaller breeding herd to rebuild supplies.

"As we go into 2012 and 2013, we're seeing tighter and tighter supplies of valuable cattle to produce beef in this country," says John Nalivka, an economist at Sterling Marketing, an agricultural-advisory firm in Vale, Ore. "The fact is, we've continued to reduce the inventory, and we haven't been building herds."

If corn prices remain high into next year, beef supplies could tighten further. That's because feedlots where cattle are fattened before slaughter will trim their feed rations for animals, resulting in smaller animals. Higher feed costs also will discourage cattle producers from growing their herds and will saddle them with more mouths to feed.

Prices for live-cattle futures are reflecting the boom and bust in supplies. Live cattle for delivery in April closed Friday at $1.248 a pound, 8.3% above the contract for October delivery. Futures for fall delivery have sold off by more than 5% in the last ten days, as traders have adjusted to a report from the U.S. Department of Agriculture noting that 22% more cattle were moved from grazing land to feedlots in July than a year ago.

Due to soaring exports of U.S. beef, futures contracts for delivery this year aren't likely to fall much further. Export shipments of U.S. beef are up 25% for the year through June, and the USDA expects beef exports to keep rising for the rest of year and into 2012, as countries such as South Korea, Japan and Mexico gorge on American beef.

Beef is flowing quickly from U.S. shores thanks to a mix of steadily climbing grain prices and prolonged weakness in the U.S. dollar, due in large part to the Federal Reserve's efforts to stabilize the U.S. economy: A weak greenback makes U.S. meat look comparatively cheap abroad.

Come spring, slaughter rates could fall by as much as 5% below the level a year earlier...

more

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB500 ... BOL_twm_mw

I believe the prices will sizzle. The demand is their worldwide, the supply isn't. Feeders are learning how to grow cattle early without all the corn. I was visitiing with my ration nutritionist and he has a feedlot that is fattening steers on nothing but corn stalks and corn syrup, and it is pretty cheap for him. The world population is growing by 1.5% every year. The world needs more food. The beef supply is the lowest its been for 50 years, and every year the corn indutry needs a record corn crop to keep up with such demand. I truely believe that the ag industry cycles for all food are a thing of the past, and we are going to see a real supply and demand for our products.

In much of the world having a little fish or chicken with your meal is a treat. No grilled steaks or barbque brisket... So I guess there is plenty of demand upside at some price.
The fertilizer dealers in my area sold a third units more than last year. I think row crop inputs are sizzling more than beef. I plan to renovate 2 paddocks in 2012 with one year of corn, sell the grain, graze the stalks.
So were will the beef supply come from???

The Nov Beef mag had a short article on how China demand puts a floor the world corn price, and another article by Harlan H forcasting calve prices to be be up $17/cwt in fall of 2011 vs. 2010, and steady to down $2 in fall of 2012 vs. 2011. Not sure if that is sizzling, but is sure beats 2009.

I don't put much weight in forecasting -- but I do agree that the upwardly mobile Chinese commies are on a buying & infastructure spree that is driving world demand.

I have put 25% of my bred cows on the cull list for this winter. We have had the driest fall in 147 years and it seems like a good time to take some inventory profit. :cowboy:

Interesting thing is if you convert some pasture into crops and then graze corn stalks in Nov/Dec - - you level out your forage available quite a bit and extend the grazing season. Many need to trade the baler in on a good 4 or 6 row planter... :shock:

Sold calves this week. Steers at 803 #'s went for $1.385. Heifers at 718 #'s went for $1.32. Other 7 weights were as high as $147.

DirtySteve":plfnjyxi said:
Sold calves this week. Steers at 803 #'s went for $1.385. Heifers at 718 #'s went for $1.32. Other 7 weights were as high as $147.
Just had to comment on the name "dirtysteve". One of my favorite scenes from Young Guns. ...."What da ya thank Dirty Steve?" "uh hu uh hu!" :lol:

Stocker Steve":3lw152re said:
In much of the world having a little fish or chicken with your meal is a treat. No grilled steaks or barbque brisket... So I guess there is plenty of demand upside at some price.
The fertilizer dealers in my area sold a third units more than last year. I think row crop inputs are sizzling more than beef. I plan to renovate 2 paddocks in 2012 with one year of corn, sell the grain, graze the stalks.
So were will the beef supply come from???
In much of the world, anything BUT goat and mutton/lamb are a treat!

Isomade":2hgp8qbd said:
DirtySteve":2hgp8qbd said:
Just had to comment on the name "dirtysteve". One of my favorite scenes from Young Guns. ...."What da ya thank Dirty Steve?" "uh hu uh hu!" :lol:
That was a good film. Thats where the nickname originated from.

I just talked with some dairymen who are getting $130 for day-old Holstein bull calves. Day olds!? They were $60 a couple months back. Crazy.

Just saw Holstein steers sell for 1.71lb. weighing 290 lbs. and 580 lb for 1.40

WORANCH":7da7zpsc said:

You were watching Superior this morning too? I couldn't believe that. I also couldn't believe how good most of those calves looked.

I sell a lot of Holstein in boxes and my customers love it and have for 20yrs

WORANCH":2rdp97ee said:

Local salebarn shows fed Holstein steers weighing 1542 lbs. bringing $120.25 per pound. At over $1800 a head there is some reason that calves will bring that.

If people would look at some well fed Holstein steers they would be surprised! They dress and eat as good as a lot of the beef breeds. :cowboy:

mwj - I agree. We had some older (3 yrs) Jersey steers that were really good eating. They had a pretty easy /well-fed existence but would have gotten hammered for their age etc.