Beef Herd Feeding Question

Help Support CattleToday:

mom to 4

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and in need of advice. I've been around and looked after cattle all my life and far as the physical end of it goes, but pretty much left the nutrition end of it to my dad. Now my husband and I are getting ready to take over the operation eventually and we have a lot to learn! We have about 70 beef cows, some nursing fall calves and some due to start calving in about 2 weeks. It's cold here... highs right around freezing most days. The cattle are on pasture (what's left of it) and being fed every other day fescue pasture hay and 18% corn gluten pellets (about 4-5 lbs per head every other day). We had a drought last summer and are short on legume hay, so he's been parceling out the alfalfa a little at a time. It just seems to me they aren't getting enough.

I haven't been able to make enough sense of the nutritional guidelines yet to formulate what we ought to be giving them. I just need real practical advice in lbs. per head per day. Thanks!

stolen from here
http://ohioline.osu.edu/as-fact/0001.html

Protein supplements can increase low-quality forage digestibility and intake while extending the grazing season. Limited amounts of high-protein supplements greater than 30 percent crude protein (CP) can be used with low-quality forages (less than 8 percent crude protein and 45 percent total digestible nutrients [TDN]). High-concentration protein supplements that are natural protein sources do not need to be fed every day. Simply feed twice as much every other day. When forage is of 8 to 10 percent crude protein content, a 20 percent crude protein supplement can be fed daily. Protein supplements containing nonprotein nitrogen can be used, but only in limited amounts, and should be provided on a daily basis.
I have read some papers lately that say the same for energy supplmentation. You don't necessarily have to supplement every day as long as when you do, it will provide the amount for that time. Say your hay test says for energy requirements to be met you need to feed 2 lb.s a day corn. The energy needs can be met by feeding 6 lb.s every 3 days.

dj is exactly right. I supplement with hay very little, but when I do I always roll out enough for two days....every other day. Same with grain/cubes etc. although, once agian, I use those very, very rarely.

Latest posts