Beef Cuts Quiz

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":3u3hxuky said:
It's extremely hard to find a good butcher here.. one who knows what they're doing, who puts the good cuts where they're supposed to go, and doesn't stew and burger half your sirloins.. And to top it off you want to get YOUR meat back, and ALL of it without getting it pinched..

That's always been a problem here, especially if a processor owns a retail meat market and a couple did around here. I only know one in 60 mile radius that I would even partially trust..

We quit processing deer in the last market I worked in over 35 years ago people would bring one in and expect a cow back.
I continued to work part time up until 1981 as a butcher, go in during holidays or vacation etc.

Had a guy near here who travelled around butchering pigs on the spot. (Well, he got them hung then took them back to finish up). He let it slip that his workers were given cuts from everything he butchered. He also apparently had the attitude that "meat was meat" and wasn't too particular if you got your own back or any random person's. Don't believe he is still in business..I actually liked the guy otherwise.

I've seen how the pork deal works out in sausage. You add 50-50 pork trimmings to make good venison sausage. Then you sell the extra sausage for the processing fee. And I see where that can rub a person the wrong way.

Latest posts