@#$%! Beavers

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":f89jgv9h said:
I would like to see those tiny aphid milking machines

Truth be known there is no milk but milk sounds better than $hit. If ants had wings I doubt there would be much to do about this afterall we think nothing of the relationship between nats and a dogs t-hiney. ;-)

angie":2couoecc said:
Was sitting in a science class the other day, and the teacher said that beavers are the only animal that adapt their environment to meet their needs. Kinda off topic, and I am sorry for that, but is this so?

Save a tree, eat a beaver!

S&WSigma40VEShooter":2l6c9nvm said:
angie":2l6c9nvm said:
Was sitting in a science class the other day, and the teacher said that beavers are the only animal that adapt their environment to meet their needs. Kinda off topic, and I am sorry for that, but is this so?

Save a tree, eat a beaver!
:shock: :lol:

Thanks Jo, actually I heard about this type drain about twenty years ago but had forgotten about it. I am going to try it out, but with the experience I have had with beavers through the years I will keep the idea of polled Moose in mind.

They are very adaptive and will finally figure a way around about anything. I have a large road that crosses a swamp and there are beavers in the swamp and the road is very important. I have 3 36" culverts in the road and to keep the beavers from messing with it I dug a pit about 10 foot deep directly in front of the pipe openings. This has worked for several years cause the beavers just can't get a foundation started. However I have now noticed they are building a dam about 40 feet in front of the pit and the dam is about 300 yards wide. I think I'm going to put a bounty on their heads and let some high school kids earn some money.

Have you considered giving a trapper access to your land? I trap, both for recreation and as a nuisance wildlife control operator, and can tell you that trapping can remove your problems, given someone who knows what he is doing. I have had great success removing beavers that were flooding corn fields...not saying I am a great trapper, just that it can be done with a little patience and an occasional follow-up. If you want to PM your email I can probably get someone in touch with you who would be glad to help you, even for free. A pretty good win/win for everyone (except the beaver :) ).

Been there done that! We ended up having to hire an expert to get rid of the problem. My local extension agent introduced me to a guy who specializes in wildlife pests. He went in and tore down the damn and set traps. He has trapped over 20 beaver since he first started. There's been 3-4 months gaps in when a new den migrates down creek and set up camp in the same area. It has not an overnight proposition however, it has taken him about a year to get things to a manageable level.

simcross":38f4dnvv said:
on the pipe idea
how big a diameter pipe would you need?

That's going to depend on the water flow of the watershed. 18 inchers is the most common here but it really depends on how much water is going to be flowing.
Staner":38f4dnvv said:
Have you considered giving a trapper access to your land? I trap, both for recreation and as a nuisance wildlife control operator, and can tell you that trapping can remove your problems, given someone who knows what he is doing. I have had great success removing beavers that were flooding corn fields...not saying I am a great trapper, just that it can be done with a little patience and an occasional follow-up. If you want to PM your email I can probably get someone in touch with you who would be glad to help you, even for free. A pretty good win/win for everyone (except the beaver :) ).

I don't know all the details on this but there used to be either a bounty or a good market for the pelts here but something happened and this dried up and we don't have any more beaver trappers and our beaver problems went from nil to serious in just a couple of years. I'd be more than happy to let a trapper catch them if only we had some. Only trappers we have left are coyote and hog trappers and they all want to catch them live so they can sell them to people who want the coyotes for fox pens and the pigs for safari hunt deals. I'm not too keen on either of these.

Well, the Georgia Trappers Association's president is Gene Pritchett, 912-586-6905, or you can go to www.trapperman.com and post that you need someone to trap your land for beaver. Either way, I bet you get the help you need.

Well, when we want to get rid of them we wait until winter - then we walk over the frozen pond to the house and burn it to water level.

You cannot likely do that - so - wait until you can find the house - wade or boat over to the house.

It will burn for a few days and they will eventually move on. Lots of mud and stuff in the house - so it does not burn like a wood pile.

It is is two stage process.

Take a bar and a sledge and drill a hole down through the middle - dump a few gallons of gas in and let it go. Put some diesel and a tire or two on top and let them burn as well.

Not environmentally correct but it works.

And then .........

Tear the dam out at dawn - make a darned big hole. At least 10 feet wide and four feet down. The water will come fast so be careful - you can get washed away.

Sit and wait - they will come - shoot them all as you see them - shotgun is best - SSG will penetrate the brush and tag them while a light rifle tends to deflect if you do not have a clear shot - you also have less worry about what the bullet does after it leaves he rifle.

Pelts are worthless unless they have winter growth on them - last winter a real good one went for 51 bucks at the auction in North Bay - the vast majority went for less than 20-25 bucks and even more were sold by weight - so you need lots to make a decent buck - and it is a lot of work to make them good - skinning is easy but unless you can stretch and scrape without damaging the pelt you might as well forget it - but you might cut off the tails and sweet pickle them - excellent.

I put more than 1000 muskrats through the auction some years back and did what many thought was real good - 2 bucks a pelt -never bothered to go seriously since - too much work for the return.

A truly formidable and determined animal. Have to admire them.

Bez+

Hubby gets asked alot to blow up dams around here. He has his explosives ticket.

It usually works and they do not return ,for a while. ;-)

Not many beavers around this year though.. :roll:

hillsdown":2uuc63ai said:
Hubby gets asked alot to blow up dams around here. He has his explosives ticket.

I still say "Save a tree eat a beaver" I even have the shirt.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":94wix008 said:
hillsdown":94wix008 said:

How do you save a tree? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

HerefordSire":dkadizcy said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":dkadizcy said:
hillsdown":dkadizcy said:

How do you save a tree? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

By eating beaver.

I rip a hole in it, go down there at dusk and wait with a 12 guage, you probably wont be there long before he shows up. Ive been doin it since i was a kid. Don't miss, them buggers get pretty smart actually. Or just run an add for someone to trap them out, lots of trappers out there with no water to trap. Or, trap them yourself, it can be a challenge but if you have time to mess with it, it can be fun.

Latest posts