Beautiful Day in the South

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn

Reaction score
Went out after church and a nice visit with family. Spring is definitely here, brother in law killed two snakes trying to get in his chicken pen after lunch. Fall calves are solid this year but not as good as the group last year. Last year the calves were 30# heavier than any other year we have ever had at weaning, this year the calves will return to more normal weaning weights for us. I did get a few decent pictures.

November heifer out of Sydgen Process 4846

October heifer out of Sydgen Black Diamond

October heifer out of Sydgen Wake up Call (out of a 2 yr old cow)

October heifer out of Sydgen Process 4846

Same heifer as above with her Connealy Courage Dam

October heifer out of Connealy Courage (out of a 2yr old)

Comments/Favorites?

Beautiful day here as well. Prettiest I remember in a while. A very fitting day for Easter. Heifers look nice. I think I like the Black Diamond best. But they're all good.

jscunn said:
Oct Heifer out of Sydgen Black Diamond x Connealy Forward

Change your mind Ron?

I had looked a second time and actually changed it before that picture. She is really nice.

The picture I just posted is a different black diamond than the one I posted at the very top. The one at the top of the page is out of an Oneills Lucky Boy daughter. Your first impression was correct of the pictures I posted yesterday, I think.

jscunn said:
The picture I just posted is a different black diamond than the one I posted at the very top. The one at the top of the page is out of an Oneills Lucky Boy daughter. Your first impression was correct of the pictures I posted yesterday, I think.

First impression is usually right. Very nice topline and good depth. I like that.

gizmom said:
Jscunn

Your heifers look good, we are seeing lighter weaning weights this year as well. Same management I think the mud took away some pounds.

Gizmom
not just you, seems like everyone had a poor calf crop around here, worst group I've had in a few years..

GM,
I guess I am not alone. I was figuring it was some things I changed versus last year. One thing is the cowherd is full of really young cows (2 and 3 yr olds) in an attempt to build numbers back. I was later putting out creep feed, ~April 1st. Weaning two weeks earlier than normal due to work conflicts. Last year was the best year we ever had in terms of weaning weight, this year I hope we get close to our historical average but we wont.

Latest posts