Bears

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
It was only a matter of time before someone got one on their game camera. This was about 2 miles from our house. Not happy about bears, not happy at all...

Over the last few years, they have been spreading into this part of the state, was said at first it was just young males.
One ran out in front of a tractor on our place last year, while folks were working in hay. Around that same time a neighbor that joins that side of the farm, caught on his trail camera a mother and cub. Growing up I never thought that there would be bears around here. We were walking along a thicket earlier in the summer looking for blackberries, didn't find many, but found an odd looking pile of manure, wife googled it on her phone, it looked consistent with the pictures of bear. So far haven't seen any losses or damages that could be attributed to them, hoping that doesn't come to be. Coyotes and black buzzards are enough problems.

We have more bears than you can beleive. They don't cause too much trouble unless it gets real dry, or the hickories don't do well.

They will destroy fruit trees though.

I've got them all around me, and several cow/calf outfits. There's never been any issue that I've heard of with them getting calves.

SJB":11mt3f2b said:
We have more bears than you can beleive. They don't cause too much trouble unless it gets real dry, or the hickories don't do well.

I've got them all around me, and several cow/calf outfits. There's never been any issue that I've heard of with them getting calves.
Yeah, im not worried about them getting calves. I'm out a lot by myself in the woods..I dont want to come across a bear, cougar or a meth head....But if i had my pick of the 3, i'd rather come across a bear..

cowgirl8":g325kutd said:
SJB":g325kutd said:

Yeah, im not worried about them getting calves. I'm out a lot by myself in the woods..I dont want to come across a bear, cougar or a meth head....But if i had my pick of the 3, i'd rather come across a bear..

A well placed .45 hollow point will stop all 3 :nod:

JMJ Farms":866x0fpg said:
cowgirl8":866x0fpg said:
SJB":866x0fpg said:

Better be a darned good shot with a bear, they can go for a while with a big hole in them.. Even a good rifle like a .308 needs to be placed right.

They are an absolute menace to gardens and fruit trees here, though they've never bothered the cows... I guess if your cows are like these ones it's the bear that has to be worried
cowVsBear10.jpg

Anyhow, SSS is always the key

JMJ Farms":lqay89if said:
cowgirl8":lqay89if said:
SJB":lqay89if said:

I am not wanting to take on a bear with a 45. Especially with a hollow point. I would want a bigger gun and more penetration. That said Washington as more bears per square mile than any other state. And they are simply a non issue. They avoid you if at all possible.

I was in a funny situation a week ago.. I was leaning on the tire of our Massey 165, and a black bear came ambling along, about a 2 year old, I just stood still, he came and sniffed the front weight, front tire, looked at me, and just ambled along.

Momma with cubs I wouldn't want to get between, but yes, they're usually pretty harmless

I remember a conversation my granddad was having with a guy about bears in my area. Since the guy nor I had ever seen a bear here the man wanted to know what happened to them. Granddad told him there was lots of hungry people back in those days. Since then I've seen pictures of organized hunts around this county with lots of dead bears.

cowgirl8":25ckmrqw said:
It was only a matter of time before someone got one on their game camera. This was about 2 miles from our house. Not happy about bears, not happy at all...

We see bears all day everyday here. Black bears just eat up the fruit and corn and other stuff never really messed with anyone's stock. Bears are no big deal here

slick4591":1se4f08h said:
I remember a conversation my granddad was having with a guy about bears in my area. Since the guy nor I had ever seen a bear here the man wanted to know what happened to them. Granddad told him there was lots of hungry people back in those days. Since then I've seen pictures of organized hunts around this county with lots of dead bears.
People where i live use to be very hungry. When we moved here i did not see a deer for maybe 5 years. Now, 25 years later, i see maybe 30 every morning when i check cows. And thats without looking for them. They graze all around our house..you cant avoid them. We have so much wildlife now because, i've said it for years, people arent hungry anymore. What is left are people who have strong hunting instincts in their DNA that its really all it boils down to, the need to hunt. And half of them are bad shots.. I think cars now take out more deer than hunters.