Bear

Help Support CattleToday:

If you took the photo it is black. Get that close to a grizzly in the wild and you may be a statistic.

Yes it is a black bear. Looking at the blocky head and it's feet probably a pretty good sized male.

Just taking a nap.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hybrid Grizzly and black bear?
The hump and ears is throwing me off.
I actually think it's 3 different bears even though the news says it's the same. The colors doesn't match to be the same bear and the dark black one is clearly a male in one picture and the other doesn't appear to be. He can't have big nuts than hide them. I could be wrong I'm not bear scientist. It be a good trick to change his fur color in what a weeks time. To go from dark black to to brown black with a light face. Not saying they don't lose winter fur. Just seems weird to change colors that much. Our cows don't change colors when they shed winter hair. Now my husband did one time he used to be brown headed he must have shed to gray haired. 😉
Just shows how cougars aren't in Western Kentucky.... either are bears or rattlesnakes... 😊 No gates stops any animals from coming here.

I think they are expanding their range quite a ways more than most realize.
Probably around 15 years a bear ran out in front of somebody raking hay on our farm. Scared them silly. Several more sightings around that time on other farms. The word from the state was that they were just young males that had wandered there. Couldn't be that they were populating and spread from adjoining counties where they are known to be and the Be Bear Aware signs are prevalent.
In more recent years we have seen mothers and cubs several times. A month or so ago we were looking for a cow with a new calf and my wife caught a glimpse of a big bear running towards the bushes and right after that saw a little one run up a tree. Earlier in the week we saw some huge footprints in the mud in branch that was drying up. We figured those tracks must be from a big male probably hanging close by that female.

I think they are expanding their range quite a ways more than most realize.
Probably around 15 years a bear ran out in front of somebody raking hay on our farm. Scared them silly. Several more sightings around that time on other farms. The word from the state was that they were just young males that had wandered there. Couldn't be that they were populating and spread from adjoining counties where they are known to be and the Be Bear Aware signs are prevalent.
In more recent years we have seen mothers and cubs several times. A month or so ago we were looking for a cow with a new calf and my wife caught a glimpse of a big bear running towards the bushes and right after that saw a little one run up a tree. Earlier in the week we saw some huge footprints in the mud in branch that was drying up. We figured those tracks must be from a big male probably hanging close by that female.
That's the same thing they're saying here, just a young bachelor moving through.

That's the same thing they're saying here, just a young bachelor moving through.
Yep they said that for several years here, though from what I understand a local game warden said that there were several around here at that time. Few years back a wildlife officer shot a mountain lion out of tree in an adjoining county and the official word was that it's DNA matched a population of them in South Dakota I think it was. They just kind of dropped the story leaving it with the implication that a captive release or escape.
They should be open, honest and forth coming about the presence of those kinds of animals. I have had several close encounters with bears and didn't even know they were close by in the thickets and bushes until they started moving around and made noise. I not near as concerned about black bears as the mountain lions. Those things could be hid like the bears and could come out of the trees on a person before they even knew anything was there.

I just noticed they changed the maps in Kentucky for rattlesnakes to all of Kentucky now. It used to just be Eastern Kentucky had rattlesnakes and LBL. Which to me didn't make sense.
I believe bears and cougars are more here than fish and wild life want us to know or believe. Guess it's doesn't hurt to always be a little more cautious and aware they maybe than think they aren't.

What is the chance of the man talking to fish and wild life while seeing the bear? 🤨🤔 How do we know they didn't trade some river otters for bears like they did turkey?

Yep they said that for several years here, though from what I understand a local game warden said that there were several around here at that time. Few years back a wildlife officer shot a mountain lion out of tree in an adjoining county and the official word was that it's DNA matched a population of them in South Dakota I think it was. They just kind of dropped the story leaving it with the implication that a captive release or escape.
They should be open, honest and forth coming about the presence of those kinds of animals. I have had several close encounters with bears and didn't even know they were close by in the thickets and bushes until they started moving around and made noise. I not near as concerned about black bears as the mountain lions. Those things could be hid like the bears and could come out of the trees on a person before they even knew anything was there.
Been cougar sightings for years here as well.

Latest posts