Be careful

Help Support CattleToday:

It is. I wonder how the fella feels who sold him the bull knowing the bull was mean. I think this is something people need to consider when they are selling a problem. Might just be me but I just can't see selling an animal that goes out of its way to catch people.

I think some of my wife's people live in that area. Not really farming country as best I remember, or atleast not where they live anyway. Even if a bull is bad, you usually don't think about one getting after you in the middle of pasture. Bad deal all the way around.

Bigfoot, I had one cow that was pure evil. She literally left the herd and came 2-300 yards across the pasture by herself to try and sneak up on me and catch me while I was mending fence. I just couldn't sell her on the market knowing what her evil mind was capable of doing. I put her down and slept well. Highgrit and I saw another bull at the sale one day that needing killing. Had it been mine it wouldn't have been at the sale barn.

I've seen at least as many mean cows as bulls.. neighbor's mother got killed by a cow, indians where I haul some cattle from had one meanarsed bytch of a little black horned cow that would come after you no matter where you were.. one day she 'treed' the owner in the hay truck, he grabbed the rifle and laid her flat for the yotes.

Even at the stockyards it baffles me how people don't read the animals before they walk through the pens... I had delivered a friend's longhorn bull and 4 steers, and they were in the holding area,.. pretty calm bunch by any account, it was taking a while to find someone to sign the paperwork, and there were others avoiding this group (a bull with horns has gotta be mean) that were pretty much all chewing cud, and they ducking out through a pen with 2 cows.. both had blood in their eyes, and one guy just about got smashed and good... they just didn't pay *any* attention to their surroundings, and trust me, the signs were there, LOUD and CLEAR... the cows were snorting, pawing, etc.

Nesikep":1hx0353t said:
I've seen at least as many mean cows as bulls.. neighbor's mother got killed by a cow, indians where I haul some cattle from had one meanarsed bytch of a little black horned cow that would come after you no matter where you were.. one day she 'treed' the owner in the hay truck, he grabbed the rifle and laid her flat for the yotes.

Even at the stockyards it baffles me how people don't read the animals before they walk through the pens... I had delivered a friend's longhorn bull and 4 steers, and they were in the holding area,.. pretty calm bunch by any account, it was taking a while to find someone to sign the paperwork, and there were others avoiding this group (a bull with horns has gotta be mean) that were pretty much all chewing cud, and they ducking out through a pen with 2 cows.. both had blood in their eyes, and one guy just about got smashed and good... they just didn't pay *any* attention to their surroundings, and trust me, the signs were there, LOUD and CLEAR... the cows were snorting, pawing, etc.

Have had to walk my big horned boys to the kill pens from the loading chutes at the sales barn a few times, while the sales crew climbs for the rafters. Had to convince one kid to walk with me (and the bull) to the pen one time. He actually thought the bull would try to kill him because he had horns - by the time we reached the pen, he figured he was one of the best-natured bulls he had even seen at the yards.

But around polled cattle, none of the crew have any fear. Cow could be 5 feet away snorting blood and foaming at the mouth - nothing scary there. Could be why there have been several broken arms/legs amongst the crew over the years.

That's a shame 75 years old and your bull kills you. Jogeephus that was a eye opening experience for me that day at the sale barn. I've never been around a bull that wanted to kill you before. But at least there was no question what he wanted to do to you.

I had a longhorn cow nearly get me once. I partially blame myself for being a dumbass and sneaking up on her in the woods right after she calved. I honestly think she never forgot that. After the second time (about 6 months later) of being chased at full sprint out of the pasture with the chase ending with me diving headfirst over 3 strands of electrified barbed wire, I decided she was going in the freezer. She changed my opinion on protective mamas. There is such thing as too much.

I was at the barn a month or 2 back and saw a mean nasty SOB bull that knocked the top half of his scalp off ramming the pen gate as people walked by. If you go to the barns on a regular you will see some nasty sob's cows and bulls. OS yes protective mom and psychotic mom are totally different.

My nearest neighbor, a lifelong cowman, came close to getting killed by a 24 month old dehorned Jersey/Holstein cross bull less than a weeks ago. Hit him square in the gut, flipped him up in the air and commenced trying to push my buddy thru the ground. Only thing that saved him was the bull was dehorned and tied to a tree and the bull eventually pushed him out of rope reach. He's got a buggered up scalp and 2 cracked ribs. I'm going over Friday to help load him out--one way or another. If it hadn't been Easter weekend, he would have been in the ring last Saturday.

GB I am a very trusting person but don't trust a Jersey with nuts any further than I could throw him.
I am reminded of the cow that bout got me on a daily basis.
3-20-15%20037_zpsz5lbociz.jpg~320x480

Man, that is one ugly bull to start with. I would have no problem popping a cap on him. I will not have a mean (or crazy) one on my place. Even the gentle ones will hurt you of given the chance.

lavacarancher":6jaujhv1 said:
Man, that is one ugly bull to start with. I would have no problem popping a cap on him. I will not have a mean (or crazy) one on my place. Even the gentle ones will hurt you of given the chance.

I wonder if that photo is of the bull that was involved? Looking at the background I'd think it's likely that's a picture of a rodeo bull. Maybe the person posting the article just googled "bull picture" and stuck that one in there?

Rafter S":3knetwjb said:
lavacarancher":3knetwjb said:

I wonder if that photo is of the bull that was involved? Looking at the background I'd think it's likely that's a picture of a rodeo bull. Maybe the person posting the article just googled "bull picture" and stuck that one in there?

I think its a clipped like you say because there are different pictures in different articles floating on the net.

Jogeephus":2hkn89xd said:
Rafter S":2hkn89xd said:
lavacarancher":2hkn89xd said:

I think its a clipped like you say because there are different pictures in different articles floating on the net.

I sure hope you're right. Can't imagine anyone buying that kind of bloodline for beef production. Must be rodeo stock.

A little 6 point buck dang near put me under. Caught me totally by surprise too. I was clearing a road thru cedar thicket. People were begging for the poles so I was saving all I could. The nice ones anyway. I was off of the Cat and walking when he attacked me from behind. I went thru a cedar bush with him following.

People tell me he was bottle fed. I went into his territory during the rut.

That is a 150 pound animal pawing at me. Can't imagine if it would have been a 1 ton bull.

I had a couple of headhunters floating around for a while. I had to have dogs with me just to check springs and do fence work for about two years. They were good cows but hot. I'd go up to feed hay and put the truck in gear and climb out on the bed to feed and they'd keep chasing the truck after the hay was off because they knew I was going to step off that bed sooner or later. Horseback they weren't so bad and they were dog broke so I put up with it for a while but one day I had my family at the ranch and my daughter was walking across the corrals when one of them came down to get a drink from the creek(they have to pass through the corrals to get to the creek). I saw her coming and ran out and grabbed my daughter and pretty much threw her over a gate and then it was me and four dogs in a fight for our lives... Six of the worst were gone that week and that fixed most of it.

The one that will always stick out in my mind was watching a young guy at the sale. He was penning a brahman bull in the individual pens and was so scared of him that he could barely move and that bull never even flapped his ears. That kid slammed the gate on that bull and stood there looking at him while a wet holstein cow (wet, at a time when milk prices were pretty good, in a yard that doesn't handle dairy cattle :shock: ) came flying around the corner. She pretty well mualed that kid and in the end he was crawling into the pen with the bull he was so scared of and the bull was a perfect gentleman even when we were bunched in there tending to the kid and that milk cow in the next pen was trying to come through the fence to get us.

Latest posts