be careful update

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
just had a call this morning about a guy i know.he was baling hay an the baler clogged.so he left the tractor an PTO running an went to unclogg the baler.well it caught his hand in the baler.an he finally got it out fore the baler could jerk it off.his hand is swelled up so bad that they cant check it out yet.he got lucky that he didnt loose his hand or get pulled into the baler.

bigbull338":3e12nuhx said:
just had a call this morning about a guy i know.he was baling hay an the baler clogged.so he left the tractor an PTO running an went to unclogg the baler.well it caught his hand in the baler.an he finally got it out fore the baler could jerk it off.his hand is swelled up so bad that they cant check it out yet.he got lucky that he didnt loose his hand or get pulled into the baler.

A very good reminder to everyone. "It only takes a millisecond". We all get in too big a hurry sometimes not to mention just flat going "brain dead".

Don't matter how big a hurry you're in when it comes to working on that baler. You ALWAYS turn the pto off. No exceptions.

The guy you knew got off very lucky. Those balers can do incredible damage to a body in a microsecond. He's lucky to be alive and have his arms and torso intact.

I know we all do it, but it's not worth chancing a body part over a few seconds or minutes to make something safe.

"Stupid is, Stupid does!"

Rule #1: Always TURN OFF any power equipment before checking or servicing.
Rule #2: Re-read Rule #1.

JMHO

P.S.: Same applies to doing something "under" a raised up mower, frontend loader, etc. Hydraulics CAN fail...

I became more cautious of the danger of PTO shafts after a relative got caught up in one. He was a truck driver getting ready to go out of town, told his wife he was going to stop by the farm first. He was putting in some fence posts and evidently got off the tractor and got caught in either the pto or the auger. It was close to a fairly well traveled road but just over the hill and out of sight. He got caught and the tractor continued to grind him into the ground until it ran out of gas. They found him a couple days later when it was discovered he was missing.
It is definitely worht taking the time to shut down the pto when getting off the tractor.

As has been pointed out befoee, "You can;t fix stupid". That's exactly what carelssness is - stupid!

Agriculture used to have the highest on the job injury and death rate of any industry, I don't know if that's still the case. We all need to be more careful, even a slip or fall can cause a severe injury, and watch those animals!

dun":3u6zlxta said:
As has been pointed out befoee, "You can;t fix stupid". That's exactly what carelssness is - stupid!

Tuesday a guy up the road was killed when he pulled his gun out of the back seat of his truck muzzel first. Gun discharged and you can figure the rest. Like said, it don't take but a second to ruin your day. PTO's and muzzles scare me but the true danger lies within yourself.

newrancher":ixt2ajdw said:
Agriculture used to have the highest on the job injury and death rate of any industry, I don't know if that's still the case. We all need to be more careful, even a slip or fall can cause a severe injury, and watch those animals!

Year to year, agriculture and coal mining swap the "most dangerous" title. If a year has a bad mine collapse mining jumps ahead. Farmers die one at a time in grain bins, cattle confrontations, and machinery mishaps. Farmers work long hours, often alone, with machines big enough to swallow Paul Bunyan.
Y'all be careful out there. You ain't half as big as you think you are.

heard from the guy.it messed his thumb up pretty bad.an broke his arm above the wrist.they are gonna try an set his arm fri.

From MLB article on april 16, 2009. Here is another example

The Worcester, Mass., medical examiner confirmed Thursday that former pitching great Mark Fidrych's death was an accident on his farm in nearby Northborough, Mass.

The 54-year-old Tigers legend passed away Monday. A friend had found Fidrych underneath the 10-wheel dump truck that he drove for his gravel business. The death was immediately suspected to be accidental.

The Associated Press reported the findings through the Worcester District Attorney's office.

Fidrych had been working on something beneath the truck when his clothes became entangled in the truck's power takeoff shaft, a spinning part. It's a driveshaft that can be used to power another piece of equipment. Fidrych died by suffocation.

In some ways, Fidrych passed away doing something he loved. According to friends and acquaintances, he always enjoyed working on cars and other vehicles, dating back to his days as a teenager working at a gas station in Northborough. Even during his playing days, he was known for working on cars during Spring Training with the Tigers in Lakeland, Fla.

Fidrych bought a dump truck soon after his retirement from baseball in 1983 and opened his gravel business, settling into his post-baseball career as a regular businessman in Northborough rather than simply a baseball celebrity.

Visitation for the former Tigers pitcher will be held Thursday from 4-8 p.m. ET at First Parish Unitarian Church in Northborough. Funeral services will take place Friday at 11 a.m. at the same church.

The Tigers held a moment of silence for Fidrych prior to their Wednesday afternoon game against the White Sox at Comerica Park. They also played a video tribute remembering his career and his incredible 1976 season, which won him the American League Rookie of the Year Award that year

I know it's easy for me to say, but why would anyone leave a PTO in gear and than try to work on or near that piece of machinery? It just blows my mind that anyone would take that risk. I realize there are exceptions where you must (like sharpening knives on a silage cutter) , but unplugging a baler?

just heard today that he hitt the PTO an supposedly turned it off.as the shaft wasnt spinning.an when he dislodged the hay the baler belts started spinning.an he jerked his hand out as soon as he could.

novaman":15a9wag9 said:
I know it's easy for me to say, but why would anyone leave a PTO in gear and than try to work on or near that piece of machinery? It just blows my mind that anyone would take that risk. I realize there are exceptions where you must (like sharpening knives on a silage cutter) , but unplugging a baler?

It saves a few minutes in an already under the gun day, they don't stop to think about what could happen, they believe they are too good/too smart/too experienced to get caught, stupidity/inexperience - the reasons are endless.

On the same note on PTO safety I'd like to pass along an accident that could be used as food for thought. A friend of mine was putting in some new posts in an existing fence using a pto auger. His helper stood several feet from the auger and pressed is leg against the fence so it would allow the auger to dig as close to the fence line as possible. The auger caught the bottom wire of the fence and snatched it and broke the fence behind his helper. The fence then lassoed his helper's leg and pulled him into the auger. Thankfully my friend turned the auger off but only after the helpers leg was rotated three times around the auger. They had to cut the wire off his leg before they could free him. He is ok but will always limp.

Jogeephus":2pacuxew said:
On the same note on PTO safety I'd like to pass along an accident that could be used as food for thought. A friend of mine was putting in some new posts in an existing fence using a pto auger. His helper stood several feet from the auger and pressed is leg against the fence so it would allow the auger to dig as close to the fence line as possible. The auger caught the bottom wire of the fence and snatched it and broke the fence behind his helper. The fence then lassoed his helper's leg and pulled him into the auger. Thankfully my friend turned the auger off but only after the helpers leg was rotated three times around the auger. They had to cut the wire off his leg before they could free him. He is ok but will always limp.

This is along the same lines of the woman who was helping her husband do something that involved a pto driven piece of machinery - exactly what they were doing escapes me at the moment. Anyway, she was wearing a shirt and didn't tuck the tail in her pants. The wind caught her shirttail, whipped it into the pto, and she was sucked into the pto and couldn't get loose. She was lucky - she lived, but she ended up pretty messed up before they could get her freed.

We had two balers running this year and one day I looked across the field to see my hired guy trying to unclogg the round baler pickup with the PTO on, man was I pissed off, since we have had countless stories in our area just like you all have mentioned. As I have got older I really spend alot more time on safety.