BCS

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
Hi all....

I posted over in the beginners board asking for tips & tricks which lead to a discussion on BCS. Instead of asking there... I wanted to chance getting more resonses on the Health & Nutrition board... so here goes...

How do you tell a cows BCS? Some like to see 4.5 - 5, some like a BCS of 6, etc. If I were to go out and look at one of my cows, how do I know what her BCS is? Obviously there are signs if she's not being sustained on free choice hay (or on the flip-side, if she's too fat) but how do I arrive at a FIGURE for her BCS? Please don't tell me this is purely matter-of-opinion... I'd hate to think that one person's idea of a 4.5 might be someone elses 6... can anyone clarify? Thanks!!

Caustic Burno":28xhqy92 said:
I knew I had a better link in my reference material I have saved through time couldn't find it. Four year old grandson had played with Paw's bifocals found them this morning in my boot.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/beef/400-795/400-795.html
Hope that was BEFORE you stuck your foot in!!!! haha. Thanks again.. its printing now.

When you lose your .45 in your boot, that will tell you something. :roll:

Grampa was an old cowman. Son of pioneers, Grandson of a famous "Indian fighter" - He died with that damn thing under his pillow at 88.

Latest posts