BB guns

Help Support CattleToday:

angie1

Reaction score
My son is having a birthday soon and wants another BB gun. I think we have gone through 5 in 3 years :( The guns my brother and I had as kids lasted forever. He is good with his gun, doesn't leave it out, no overtly destructive tricks. I would like this next one to be the last one. Can someone recommend?

One of the break open cocking single shot pellet guns work well. I have a cheap Dasey that I got about 10 years ago and it still works great. But the eurpopean imports are far better, also a lot more money

jfont and dun ~ do these guns look like guns? Do not want one that looks like a pistol.

OK, I need to give more background. jfont, I went to site you recommended (airgunsbbguns.com) and saw the airgun that has pellets traveling 800fps. Here's what I want ~ son will be 10, has used bb gun for 3 years, is a crack shot and very responsible. I am hoping for something durable, light weight, can kill a cow bird, needs to be accurate. Something I can use to keep goat out of rose bushes that won't travel in one side of goat and out the other. Goat problem is secondary ~ if I have to, I will go back to using the broom :( Is this still the gun you guys would recommend? If not, then what? Am hoping it is something I can get at Sportsmans Warehouse or Cabellas or Scheels.

I don;t know about a goat but it will bury itself in a dogs hide at 30-40 feet. Using the flat pointed bellets it works great on cowbirds, also up close it's effective on feral cats, and other misc. pet birds. I have a red dot sight on mine and it 60 feet it will shoot minute of sparrow head.
Here's is the basic one that I have
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0

Buy you a cheap $25 single cock red rider daisy from walmart to sting the goat ,like I use on stray cats in my trash, buy your son a good gun that he'll have for a long time and enjoy using.

do you still get the BSA airguns? They were by far the best when I grew up, always wanted one, but had to make do with a Gecado.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":ziq4rak9 said:
Get that Red Ryder for the goats (600 fps) and get the boy a cheap single shot 22. Or better yet a cheap single shot 410.
A 22 bullet can travel 1 mile, and is capable of killing a person. Would you trust it in the hands of a ten year old? Is he always going to make sure there isn't anything he doesn't want to shoot beyond his target?

jfont":2zrp9ob9 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2zrp9ob9 said:
Get that Red Ryder for the goats (600 fps) and get the boy a cheap single shot 22. Or better yet a cheap single shot 410.
A 22 bullet can travel 1 mile, and is capable of killing a person. Would you trust it in the hands of a ten year old? Is he always going to make sure there isn't anything he doesn't want to shoot beyond his target?

This (bb gun) is a step before a 22. He has to be at least 12 as well as meet other criteria before 22, he has to have formal gun training and be certified ~ has to be 12 to do that. My only real concern with him at this point is that he is not always paying attention to what is past his target.

jfont":3b34ved1 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3b34ved1 said:

Hey jfont, she said that the boy was a crack shot and treated his gun with respect...
Get the boy a .22.
D.R.

Dusty Roads":3p0btjx8 said:
jfont":3p0btjx8 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3p0btjx8 said:

Hey jfont, she said that the boy was a crack shot and treated his gun with respect...
Get the boy a .22.
D.R.

He is a crack shot and very respectful about handling gun, but he's 10 and misses sometimes. Gets excited, doesn't look beyond target. He has to have formal training and certified to get a 22, rule of house. That can't happen before he's 12.

I had a benjamin pump pellet rifle when I was a kid. It was my dads and it will be my sons. I used to kill sooooo many robins and blackbirds, man oh man. That little rifle was perfect. Lasts forever, has almost as much power as a 22 but doesn't shoot near as far. they make a .177 caliber, but i had the .22 caliber.

A friend of mine had one of those Benjamins when I was a kid. He accidentally shot himself in the armpit with it. I think the pellet is still in there.

Dusty Roads":322959vw said:
jfont":322959vw said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":322959vw said:

Get the boy a .22.
D.R.
I got the impression also that the boy was responsible enough to handle a 22 or 410,if not and the house rules dictate a gun safety course ( a good idea ) then a BB gun it is I guess.

Latest posts