Battery Disconnect

Help Support CattleToday:

Hondac

Reaction score
Does anyone use a battery disconnect switch on their tractor? I have an older 1466 international which
must have some sort of electrical drain on the battery when unused for several days. Thinking of
installing one of these switches at a convenient location on the tractor to see if it helps.

They are good idea and they work. I would first try and find the short. The tractor electrical system is simple. Starter, lights and if you have a cab AC, Radio. disconnect one at a time until you find the drain.

I assume you know how to find a short. if not disconnect the neg cable and take your multi meter set to DC current connect the red lead to battery post and the black lead to cable. the reading will show the amp drainage. disconnect each possible current draw and retest till you find what's draining the battery

M5farm":2kfzxafn said:
I assume you know how to find a short. if not disconnect the neg cable and take your multi meter set to DC current connect the red lead to battery post and the black lead to cable. the reading will show the amp drainage. disconnect each possible current draw and retest till you find what's draining the battery
Thanks, I may give that a try.

After you find short, a quick disconnect is still not a bad idea. In the field with an electrical problem that shorts, really nice to kill everything with just a flick of a switch. Sometimes a tractor can receive big damage before battery cable can be removed.

M5farm":3s7ipw3k said:
A easy method to find shorts is to unhook negative cable and hook a test light between the cable and battery post. No light = no short, dim light = small short so the brighter the light means the bigger the short. The light works good by allowing you to put it where it is visible when disconnecting things to find the short. Used this method for over 30 years.

Latest posts