Battery and concrete

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Does a battery go dead more quikly if it is set on concrete? I always heard it did fellow told me the other day it didnt matter.

i was told not to charge a battery sitting on concrete because it would ruin the battery.so i sat the battery on wood an charged it.so who knows if sitting on concrete will ruin a battery.

batteries of old, the ones that the case was made of rubber would discharge and sometimes go bad if set on concrete. the new batteries have plastic cases and you will have no problem putting them on concrete. if you are still uncomfrontable about it set them on a palet.

I was taught that you should always set a battery on wood. I never tested the lesson.

From the posts, the times may have changed.

Anybody out there know for sure by doing it?

I get paid to work on batteries, and can tell you concrete doesn't have any effect at all on a modern battery.

jkwilson":1fqxux3o said:
I get paid to work on batteries, and can tell you concrete doesn't have any effect at all on a modern battery.

Good deal.

Thanks.

The damage is said to occur because the concrete is cold which makes the bottom of the battery cooler than the top which can cause cracking of the plates and plate joiners during charging. Cooling the base also precipitates out the lead and sulphates that have fallen to the bottom of the battery into the wells provided for the purpose .

Some people who work with batteries are like McDonalds workers , they take a four hour intro course and then know it all.

tytower":2pqvbw1k said:
The damage is said to occur because the concrete is cold which makes the bottom of the battery cooler than the top which can cause cracking of the plates and plate joiners during charging. Cooling the base also precipitates out the lead and sulphates that have fallen to the bottom of the battery into the wells provided for the purpose .

That whole statement is wrong on every level. I have a MSEE, and work on batteries and charging systems full time. Having a cool mass like concrete to set a battery on during charging is a big help in controlling battery temps.

jkwilson":3fwp1klf said:
tytower":3fwp1klf said:

That whole statement is wrong on every level. I have a MSEE, and work on batteries and charging systems full time. Having a cool mass like concrete to set a battery on during charging is a big help in controlling battery temps.
Well you don't know as much about batteries as you thought you did !
I guess I would not want my battery worked on where you work.
If you would like to discuss this ,point out what you disagree with and why.
Do you know that most of todays lead /acid batteries are made in Taiwan ? Do you know what the insides of their batteries look like ? Have you cut the tops off batteries to look or do you go on what others tell you? Have you seen the bottom wells I refer to ? Have you seen how the plates and separators are constructed and joined .
If you had you would not be putting them on cold concrete to charge.
The temperature is adjusted by switching off the charge to cool and should be done after measuring the internal resistance of the battery. The resistance decreases as the temp increases so you turn it off to cool then start again. This is good because the charge in effect sinks in as it sits and cools and the charge is more permanent.

But then you should know all this -you work with batteries - god help us.

jkwilson":3e9k2oqp said:
tytower":3e9k2oqp said:

Do you know that most of todays lead /acid batteries are made in Taiwan ? Do you know what the insides of their batteries look like ? Have you cut the tops off batteries to look or do you go on what others tell you? Have you seen the bottom wells I refer to ? Have you seen how the plates and separators are constructed and joined .
The temperature is adjusted by switching off the charge to cool and should be done after measuring the internal resistance of the battery. The resistance decreases as the temp increases so you turn it off to cool then start again. This is good because the charge in effect sinks in as it sits and cools and the charge is more permanent.

But then you should know all this -you work with batteries - You have a MSEE- god help us. Learnt it at Uni and reckon you know everything there is to know. You don't .

jkwilson":1dyaf2iz said:
tytower":1dyaf2iz said:

But then you should know all this -you work with batteries - You have a MSEE- god help us. Learnt it at Uni and reckon you know everything there is to know. You don't .

Appologies about multiple posts.
Comes about by having to click three times to get a server page.
I have reported it to the boss who says the server is getting overloaded and naturally he does not want to spend another $300 + on more server time .
Some one makes a lot of dough out of selling server time over there ?

3fifty7":3rvmq83l said:
I was always told not to set a battery on concrete and NEVER set one on a steel plate!?!?!?

What do you think the bottom of the battery box in your vehicle is?

a battery goes dead by passing current along the dirt between the negative and positive posts. if your battery is clean it can not discharge by setting on concrete or wood

dun":24ymk0vs said:
3fifty7":24ymk0vs said:
I was always told not to set a battery on concrete and NEVER set one on a steel plate!?!?!?

In my pickup its plastic and in all of our trucks its wood bottom, plastic or fiberglass.

3fifty7":25oea4jc said:
dun":25oea4jc said:
3fifty7":25oea4jc said:

In my pickup its plastic and in all of our trucks its wood bottom, plastic or fiberglass.

Until the last few years they were all metal, mine still are.

luckefarm":1nwbg5bx said:
a battery goes dead by passing current along the dirt between the negative and positive posts. if your battery is clean it can not discharge by setting on concrete or wood
Essentially you are right. But let me explain a little more .

The compounds from which your battery plates are made deteriorate over time.

As you drive around in your wheels vibration shakes the lead compounds from the plates which settle into the wells which are specially constructed for this in the bottom of the case. When enough settles it shorts the cell out and often thats when that cell goes flat and bubbles when it is charged. You can shake the batteries up and quickly turn them over and drain them of acid (save it). Them when upside down hose them out with a hose until no more sediment (lead compounds ) come out. Take the clear acid at the top of the saved stuff and refill each battery cell. top it up with water and recharge .

This sometimes works but generally the damage to the plates has been done and they dont last long . Good to know if you cant buy a new one for some reason.

Dirt between the terminals obviously will discharge a battery but does not do any permanent damage unless its like a screwdriver across the terminals. leaving a battery flat however seems to allow the deep saturated charge to escape and the battery never seems to recharge to the same state again.

Now the thing with cold concrete or any COLD surface is that the bottom of the battery is at a different temperature to the top . This is the bad bit so a chunk of wood in a steel battery holder or between the concrete floor is a good cure.

Latest posts