Basin Excitement

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Any experience with this bull? I calved a couple heifers to him this year and not terribly impressed. Not sure if that's because they are still young or because the calves are on heifers or because the heifers themselves aren't doing their job. They calved well, but don't have much growth yet.

Have calves by Thunder and Double Vision and herd bulls in the same group that look much better.

angus9259
I have never used the bull, the GT Max in the pedigree would make me a bit concerned about Milking ability, it is a ways back in the pedigree but I had a daughter out of him back in the day and he sucked the milk right out of her.

gizmom

I used Basin Excitement two years ago, one was on a heifer and the other a smaller second-calf cow. I liked his calving ease and growth numbers and thought he would work well on the pedigrees of the two females. Both were bull calves that we banded early on. They took a while to start growing, but really started to come on as they approached yearling age when we sold them as steers. Have not used him since.

A couple years ago I was at the Genex facilities in Missouri and walked through the barns looking at the various bulls. Basin Excitement was one, if not the most impressive bull in the barns. He was wide based, big topped, and very stout. Though the bull has been on my short-list of potential A.I. sires to use, he never made it to the top of the list to be one of the few bulls we purchased semen on.

Latest posts