Bartering hay mowing for baling. What’s fair?

Help Support CattleToday:

RevFarmer

Reaction score
Considering trading out some hay mowing and raking for baling. I've got a neighbor who is wanting to trade even with me, meaning for every acre I cut and rake for him, he'll bale for me. That's seems like I'm coming out on the short end. I haven't countered yet because I'm not sure what would be fair. Some help please.

Cutting takes twice the passes(at the least) than either raking or baling. Along with more fuel if your running a moco. Which isn't much cheaper than a baler. Possibly more. Make him rake and bale . It'll be close enough.

Rates I paid this year

MoCo= 20/acre
Rake= 10/acre
Bale=19.50/bale

Makes it easy to get 100% even if you set a rate. 3-5 BPA is worth a lot more than 1.

I agree from a time stand point it would be closer to even if he raked and baled. However if you each don't have all the equipment or time necessary than it is a fair enough deal. Could be if you both have similar equipment that you cut with yours and rake with his then he bales with his would be a good compromise as well.

Nothing is ever totally fair, work it out where you are both happy and both get your hay done. A little one way or the other usually comes out in the end if you do much together.

What size bales and how much do they sell for at normal market prices there?
5x6 net wrap. Fescue that size normally 45-55 depending on time of year and availability of course. We'll see what they are next February I'm guessing closer to 70 given everything.

It sounds like a good deal. my Vermeer 504R premium last year was $36,500 it is $41K this year. Tractors are not cheap either. I use an old sickle type swather and never rake.. I can cut all day long on 40 gallons of fuel..

It sounds like a good deal. my Vermeer 504R premium last year was $36,500 it is $41K this year. Tractors are not cheap either. I use an old sickle type swather and never rake.. I can cut all day long on 40 gallons of fuel..
Are you the guy that said in another thread that you Bale immediately after cutting and it stays green for years??

Who's moving the bales off the field? If it's the guy baling and the one cutting/raking then it would be about close
I know that if someone said "I'll mow, you rake and bale" I'd tell them to pound sand,

Who's moving the bales off the field? If it's the guy baling and the one cutting/raking then it would be about close
I know that if someone said "I'll mow, you rake and bale" I'd tell them to pound sand,
Nesi I lucked out last year and had someone ask me to come to solely help cut. I put about 10 hours of cutting in for 24 round bales. Hoping they call back for more help this year!

Latest posts