Barn

Help Support CattleToday:

jgibson

Reaction score
We are looking at building a barn and we have received several quotes. We are located in northeastern Alabama. We are thinking of using Reid Truss in Cullman, AL. Does anyone have any experience with them? Do you recommend anyone?

I am getting quotes on barns also. I think they submitted a quote to me. Is this the same outfit that travels all over north Alabama, Tennessee, N. Georgia and Kentucky building barns? I will have to look at the quote to see if it is the same people.

Hey I was down in your neck of the woods last week. I went down to Boaz on business. I think that is Marshall County right?

I live on the other side of Cullman from you towards Florence/Muscle Shoals. I have a couple of different friends that let Reids build barns for them. As far as I know they were happy with the job they did. I have not delt with them myself but I have not heard anything bad about them either. I reckon they do a lot of work around here.

Circle H Ranch

Are there no local barn builders wanting to build a barn close to home? No offense intended, but the farther away from home your contractor is located has no correlation on how much of an expert he is. If you have a problem it's pretty hard to get a man to travel 500 miles to do an hour of warranty work, and problems do occur. gs

by plumber_greg » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:54 am

Are there no local barn builders wanting to build a barn close to home?

These guys are only an hour or so from where he wants the barn built.

Circle H Ranch

theres plenty of builders around .. i got my truss's to build mine from addison steel truss, near cullman dont know if there still in business Cecil Pigg use to work for them has his own company now.. If you want i'll pm you a local buillder

Thanks to everyone for all your replies. Yes, I am located in Marshall county. Please PM me any builder that you have confidence in. Nothing has set in stone yet.

Reids has put up 2 hay barns for me and I am pleased with their work. They put up a 40' X 60' top only in about 8 hours. I don't think you will find anyone cheaper with the same quality.

Cabo":13lgznv8 said:
Reids has put up 2 hay barns for me and I am pleased with their work. They put up a 40' X 60' top only in about 8 hours. I don't think you will find anyone cheaper with the same quality.
it takes me 8 hours just to square one,, alot of these guys got a crew of mezcans,, they work like maggot on road kill :cowboy:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2u85vfg2 said:
Any Amish or Menanites?
Jenanne, I must know, and I ask this with the utmost respect, why do you think Amish or Mennonites are better barn builders than anyone else? I have some very good, and I mean very, very, good take out to supper with good, Mennonite friends. They are just people. Know nothing more than the next guy about building barns. And I am as unregulious as you can get!!
The Amish I know, I would not let on my place, or recommend to anyone. They are carpenters without tools. If they need a tool, they will borrow it from you, take home, and you can't call them to get it back, only leave a message on their phone that they can't have in their house or they will have to answer it. How convient, would hate to bother their 6 month bath time.
I plumb houses for Mennonite carpenters, best people I know and consider them friends. Not because they're Mennonites, because they are good people. Amish and Mennonites are no more crasftmen because of their religion, than you are a cattle woman because of yours.
Sorry, Jeanne, I think a lot of you. I just hear things about my friends that upset me. I know rich wantabees that will hire the Mennonites because they think they are something special, I want to tell them that if it wan't for the tax breaks they would be something else. Can't tell them that tho'. Okay, I'll quit now. gs

Greg - point taken - no offence. We have some really nice Amish neighbors. You give them the specs you want or blue prints, and you got it. Some of them ARE carpenters as their trade.
I'm sure there are good and bad ones - I'm just lucky to have some good ones. they have their own tools - full set of electric tools - they just use YOUR electricity.
They are NOT necessarily the best prices.
Only Mennonites I know in this area is a fencer & he has a great business. The Mennonites are much more business oriented - have cell phones - have "real" offices & businesses.

ALACOWMAN":3dkv7o1z said:
Cabo":3dkv7o1z said:
it takes me 8 hours just to square one,, alot of these guys got a crew of mezcans,, they work like maggot on road kill :cowboy:
All of their crews that I have seen are good ole boys, walk those steel trusses like they were only 2 feet off the ground. Know what you mean about the Mex.

Thanks, Jeanne. Sounds like you have good neighbors. You have it right about the Mennonites being business.
The Amish around here just take advantage of the tourist trade and do as little as possible. I like to tell the story about the guy that built the new house, Bill, and was showing me and Sara the Amish furniture he paid way too much for. I told him we plumbed the owners of the company new house. He didn't think Amish had running water, and I explained that the Amish making his furniture were show, and most was made in Boston in a factory and they sell all over the US. Of course he was shocked that the store wasn't Amish owned and operated.
Told him that was like the farmer that hires 20 Amish kids to pick his apples, there is one, pays them a couple bucks an hour, and sells the apples as Amish Hand Picked Fruit. gs

I was told an interesting fact that I didn't know about the Amish.
When they join the church, they have to sign a statement saying that they will not accept any money from the government. Like, one of my friends has 6 kids :shock: and we were talking about filing income taxes. He said another lady I know fills out his (I didn't even know if they filed). He said that she told him he could get a huge amount of money back thru the Child Credit program - but he said no, he can't. They don't want any benefits from the government.
I know "they" kind of make their own rules, depending on the group. So, not sure if this is a "local" rule - or all Amish. I'll have to ask him someday. I just found that interesting.

Latest posts