Barn Lighting

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
We finally got the electric run to the new barn, but I'm trying to decide the best type of lighting. The old type florescent lights come to mind, but arethere any alternatives anyone would suggest?

The barn is 24' x 30' with a 15' foot overhang. Open on one side (the side with the overhang), two roll up overhead doors, I'm going to guess 15'.

DSC00029-1.jpg
[/img]

I got some old halogen lamps from the air force base. They take a little bit to warm up but there aren't any shadows in the barn. I like them better than the flourescent - have them too - since I don't have to worry about them not lighting up on cold or damp nights.

TheBullLady":2lwc1cwy said:
The old type florescent lights come to mind, but arethere any alternatives anyone would suggest?

Based on news reports I've heard over the years, I believe Texas can have some fairly cold winters. For that reason I would not go with florescent lighting, as they tend to not come on in very cold weather - nothing worse than the lights not coming on when you really need them to. Just a little something to think about. Incandescent lighting comes on in most any type of weather, and I'm not sure about halogen - no experience with it.

I've gone to using mercury vapor exterior lights in barns and in the shop, the pig ol yard light deals. The give a lot of light, bulbs last a whole lot longer then conventional lights and in the cold they alwasy come on unlike flourescent lights.

Go with the merc / vapor , the newer ones are smaller , can run on auto or switch , are less expensive than the fluoro fixtures

They make flour. lights that work in cold weather. We have an outdoor lighted sign and it works just fine in the winter.In fact I haven't changed a bulb in 10 years.

Florescent give me problems with ballasts. Got one in the laundry room that's out right now. It is about the third time in 15 years or so.

The new halogen bulbs last a long time and don't use much juice. I am going to standard lights with halogen bulbs. They have really gotten inexpensive to purchase.

I got a couple gym lights. The guy that was doing the upgrade gave me some of the ones that were replaced. They work well. The closest thing to that would be a $20 dusk to dawn light, you just have to jump the light senser so it will work on a switch. The only thing with lights like this is you need to wire them on their own circuit. If they share a circuit with a receptical and you use a power saw, the the split second power draw will made the lights go off. Where a regular light bulb will dim or blink for a second these will take awhile to come back.

Latest posts