Barf!

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefords.US

Reaction score
I didn't want to derail the other thread, BUT!!!

I want to reinforce something that BEZ said in it!

snake67":qep0bfsh said:
Literally millions of them roam the plains and do well. It is a total picture that tends to get twisted when someone talks about having to pull a GIANT 85 pound calf (if a normal presentation and normal sized heifer - I would toss that worthless POS girl in a heart beat) - which we see on this site on a regular basis.

IMO any heifer unable to do this is not worth keeping.

Bez

Whenever someone posts about all their calves with their 50 pound birthweights, like they did in that other thread, I want to PUKE! :bang: :bang: :bang:

C'mon folks, are you breeding cattle or breeding jack rabbits?

IMNTBHO, if the presentation is correct, and a 2 year old heifer cannot have a 85 to 90 pound calf TOTALLY on her own, then she isn't deserving to be a part of the brood cow population!

George

Herefords.US":cmc7qf8g said:
I didn't want to derail the other thread, BUT!!!

I want to reinforce something that BEZ said in it!

snake67":cmc7qf8g said:
Literally millions of them roam the plains and do well. It is a total picture that tends to get twisted when someone talks about having to pull a GIANT 85 pound calf (if a normal presentation and normal sized heifer - I would toss that worthless POS girl in a heart beat) - which we see on this site on a regular basis.

IMO any heifer unable to do this is not worth keeping.

Bez

Whenever someone posts about all their calves with their 50 pound birthweights, like they did in that other thread, I want to PUKE! :bang: :bang: :bang:

C'mon folks, are you breeding cattle or breeding jack rabbits?

IMNTBHO, if the presentation is correct, and a 2 year old heifer cannot have a 85 to 90 pound calf TOTALLY on her own, then she isn't deserving to be a part of the brood cow population!

George

+1

... unless you're breeding minis ...

IMO, a heifer should be able to calve a calf that's about 1/10th of her post-partum weight at two years of age...without help.

Sometimes I don't understand why it is a necessary to using a longhorn or a corriente bull on the heifers. I brought some Angus heifers bred by a corriente bull few years ago. No birth issues but I was embarrassed when I showed up with these trashy calves at the sale barn.

Confessions of an Angus Breeder
I finally had two Angus calves that weighed 65 and 67 pounds Saturday. I couldn't believe it, but... They were twins! :banana: I could carry them around like they were kittens.
Last year, another cow had twins, and they each weighed in the 70's.
90% of my calves weigh from 82 to 95 lbs. I did have one that weighed over 100 lbs one time. I would like to weigh the calves when they are born, but they are so heavy, that I cannot pick them up. So I use the hoof tape and just hope that it is close enough.

Often, the ones that can't, naturally cull themselves and their calf.
Had one last year, after not having to assist in many years. 99 lb calf pulled--dead. Kept the heifer and she bred back. She'll do good on her own around Mar 8 or she's gone--one way or another.

OakCreekRanch":3lo6bfde said:
Sometimes I don't understand why it is a necessary to using a longhorn or a corriente bull on the heifers. I brought some Angus heifers bred by a corriente bull few years ago. No birth issues but I was embarrassed when I showed up with these trashy calves at the sale barn.

If your gonna change your name, you ought to change the stuff you harp on.

Bigfoot":8vd0ppmu said:
OakCreekRanch":8vd0ppmu said:

If your gonna change your name, you ought to change the stuff you harp on.
What? You still hold on it? I told you that you got a wrong person!

The most important part of developing a heifer is a pelvic measurement. It ought to be the first thing on the cull list. One of the many lessions I've learned the hard way.

salebarn junkie":3gjqrdyx said:
The most important part of developing a heifer is a pelvic measurement. It ought to be the first thing on the cull list. One of the many lessions I've learned the hard way.
If in all other ways they are suitable, that is our semi final cut for culling. Wether they settle to AI with a mx of 2 services is the last cut.

dun":2fm3vcok said:
salebarn junkie":2fm3vcok said:
If in all other ways they are suitable, that is our semi final cut for culling. Wether they settle to AI with a mx of 2 services is the last cut.

Do you do a three-dimensional pelvimetry?

Herefords.US":1jb86286 said:

George

In your opinion would you keep that cow if her jack rabbit calves weaned off just as big as the larger birthweight calves??

TexasBred":1h3slish said:
Herefords.US":1h3slish said:

George

In your opinion would you keep that cow if her jack rabbit calves weaned off just as big as the larger birthweight calves??
I would as long as they are all within 10% of the same weight at weaning

WalnutCrest":4octvjn0 said:
dun":4octvjn0 said:
salebarn junkie":4octvjn0 said:

It;s not really 3d but when it's measured at the smallest points I don;t see as it matters.

I still subscribe to the old theory that a cow should easily have a calf that is 8% of her weight. 1200 lb cow=96lb calf, 1000lb cow=80 lb calf. One other thing I also beleive that birthweight is about 70% controlled by the cow. To small of a calf here is about as much of a problem as a big birthweight calf. To little does'nt have enough body mass to survive the cold.

TexasBred":1bmwfiup said:
Herefords.US":1bmwfiup said:

George

Of course. But it's been my experience that the smaller, lighter calves generally aren't as lively as the calves that were born in a more normal weight range of 75 to 90 lb. That makes them much better coyote bait where I am.

dun":1vqbpe6l said:
WalnutCrest":1vqbpe6l said:
It;s not really 3d but when it's measured at the smallest points I don;t see as it matters.

Just curious as 3D pelvimetry is one of the things that the French Aubrac bull testing station does for their prospective AI bulls and these bulls' progeny. They believe that it allows them to determine which bulls are better than others regarding their daughters' calving ease (i.e., which bulls have what pelvimetry scores, and then, whether or not their pelvimetry translates through to their daughters ability to calve easily).

It's interesting to me to learn how other breeds and breeders do things. Thanks.

WalnutCrest":imlp8wup said:
dun":imlp8wup said:
WalnutCrest":imlp8wup said:

Just curious as 3D pelvimetry is one of the things that the French Aubrac bull testing station does for their prospective AI bulls and these bulls' progeny. They believe that it allows them to determine which bulls are better than others regarding their daughters' calving ease (i.e., which bulls have what pelvimetry scores, and then, whether or not their pelvimetry translates through to their daughters ability to calve easily).

It's interesting to me to learn how other breeds and breeders do things. Thanks.
Years ago we had a really nice heifer but her pelvis was screwy, the width was fine but barely had any height. Even though the sq inches number was ok that height scared me so she went as a feeder along with the steers

Latest posts