Barbero's Christmas

Help Support CattleToday:

wow... that is a pretty good article... some of those people are CRAZY for that horse... o well...Merry Christmas!
ss

I have followed the ups and downs of this since the beginning. When I saw the video today of him walking with the cast off I about cried. It is soooo sad to see the once beautiful animal all deformed. He does not look distressed or uncomforable when you look him in the eye -- but don't it seem like he was just kept alive to use him in about 3-4 weeks for breeding? That poor animal has been thru hell and I think it was some greedy owner's just keeping him alive for their own selfish profits to use him as a stud. JMHO.....

I also found it very disturbing to see a brief video showing him walking. That leg appears to be all twisted. Maybe it will improve, maybe not. What a shame; that horse has been through a lot. I think it's all about $$$.

I for one am happy to see this horse make the recovery he did. I would love to see the video, if anyone can post the link. I don't look at his rehab as a matter of greed, but more as a hope of recooping an investment. I'm sure they had big bucks in getting this colt on the track, he is proven as being a great horse. So I'm sure they will fill his book with eager mares at many thousands of $ a pop. Also I doubt there is much of a chance this stud will ever be kept in a dark, wet stall.

Again can someone post a link to the video of him with the cast off?

Thanks,
Alan

Let's face it, they race, ride, jump, drive and otherwise use horses before they're mature enough to stand the strain and stresses that they go through. We have too much money, not enough time, to wait until they mature. The ponies suffer for it. It's common to see the same type of abuse in the treatment of our kids. Why should we not do it to any other thing we own? We demand satisfaction now and to H*des with anything or person that would deny us our right to be satisfied right now!After all it's MY property!

I think you hit it exactly on the nail! They do push them tooo soon and too hard and they are not mature enough to stand the pounding. I beleive that is exactly why this beautiful, promising animal broke down. When is the racing industry going to stop this horror? If they let them stand just one more year how much do you think it would help these animals? I think the fractures, navicular, ect would be greatly reduced. I think it is a travasty to see this great animal look like this only to capitalize off his semen to create more animals that will be exposed to the same horror he endured. Just my two cents worth... I don't believe in any sport where you have to beat an animal to do well when he is already giving you his all. Not a big fan of barrel racing, or anything a crop is used on either. Just watch a beautiful cutting horse dance or a jumper go thru his paces without being beat to excel further and faster and you will see what I mean.... Have a great Christmas....

TANGLES123":ae91xfpm said:
I think you hit it exactly on the nail! They do push them tooo soon and too hard and they are not mature enough to stand the pounding. I beleive that is exactly why this beautiful, promising animal broke down. When is the racing industry going to stop this horror? If they let them stand just one more year how much do you think it would help these animals? I think the fractures, navicular, ect would be greatly reduced. I think it is a travasty to see this great animal look like this only to capitalize off his semen to create more animals that will be exposed to the same horror he endured. Just my two cents worth... I don't believe in any sport where you have to beat an animal to do well when he is already giving you his all. Not a big fan of barrel racing, or anything a crop is used on either. Just watch a beautiful cutting horse dance or a jumper go thru his paces without being beat to excel further and faster and you will see what I mean.... Have a great Christmas....

I agree with much of what you said, but while it's a money sport, there will always races for 2yr old TB's. Which means they get started before they turn 2. It's a money driven sport, cost too much. Because of the cost, why raise a horse to 3 when you can make money at 2? I also hate that part of it, I wished they would ban it in the sport.

As for the crop part of your post, they are a very useful tool, remember the rider is striking a 1200 to 1600 pound animal with a little leather strap, it doesn't really hurt just gets there attention. A few years back I worked with a mare that all I had to do was have crop in my hand and she was great, very well mannered, I didn't have it it was a fight the whole ride until I got off and a got the crop and It's not because she was ever beaten, it just got her respect.

Alan

Gale Seddon":39x89la1 said:
I also found it very disturbing to see a brief video showing him walking. That leg appears to be all twisted. Maybe it will improve, maybe not. What a shame; that horse has been through a lot. I think it's all about $$$.
I agree with you. The leg looked horrible, in my opinion. I have to say that also IMO, they are keeping him alove for the $$$ from using him as a stud. However, he didn't seem to be exhibiting any pain although according to the news report I was watching, he's also on heavy pain meds...I have to say I wonder what his quality of wife will truly be.

Jay

If they had put the horse down the owners would have gotten 20,000,000$!! insurance---Don't know how much they spent to keep him alive.. The horse does not care what he looks like.. I don't know if that leg will hold him to breed a mare.. Horse looks HAPPY..

peg4x4":2bu7xgmf said:
If they had put the horse down the owners would have gotten 20,000,000$!! insurance---Don't know how much they spent to keep him alive.. The horse does not care what he looks like.. I don't know if that leg will hold him to breed a mare.. Horse looks HAPPY..

Yeah, Peg, I read that about the $20,000,000 insurance. If ever there was a horse that wanted to live, it was Barbaro. I'm glad he's still with us. Right now this country needs a winner like him.

Alice

I didn't know that his insurance payout was that big. Doing some simple math, calculating est. stud fees and max horses he can cover, I think they would have been $ ahead if they put him down. I too am glad he still around, he's a great horse, the simple math tells me it wasn't because of the future $ that they saved him.

My simple math: est. $50,000 stud fee, 40 mares a season (I don't think he will cover that many mares for a couple of years if ever). $50,000 x 40 = 2 mil a year. It would take the owners 10+ years to recoop the $20 mil policy.... this wasn't about the money, they must love this horse.

P.S. I don't think the horse is suffering anymore, it's a good life for him.... hey maybe he can still run in a "Handicap" :D :shock: ... sorry :oops:
Alan

While I don't think, or hope it's not done, it would be very possible for him to be bred to several hundred mares a year. With AI and 24 hour world wide delivery available it's possible to make many times the insurance value.
Within the last couple of years the AQHA was successfully sued over limiting the number of foals who could be registered each year as the result of AI. I think it was 5 foals per year. I don't keep up but if the number of AI produced registered foals, of any breed, is unlimited then the sky's the limit.
Barbaro might well live a long contented life, he probably never cover a mare.

It's still going to be a wait and see situation as to whether or not he will be able to cover a mare. If he has problems they might be able to make a brace for the leg but if they can't do that they've got zip and they knew that going into the deal.Z

Mike Franklin":1xae05tz said:
While I don't think, or hope it's not done, it would be very possible for him to be bred to several hundred mares a year. With AI and 24 hour world wide delivery available it's possible to make many times the insurance value.
Within the last couple of years the AQHA was successfully sued over limiting the number of foals who could be registered each year as the result of AI. I think it was 5 foals per year. I don't keep up but if the number of AI produced registered foals, of any breed, is unlimited then the sky's the limit.
Barbaro might well live a long contented life, he probably never cover a mare.

I googled it to double check but couldn't find anything newer then 2003. As of 2003 they still couldn't use AI with TB's, I'm 95% sure they still can't.

I, like MillIron, am sure they will have a hi-tech brace on him and the mare will probably have some restraint and/or drugs on board. But I'm sure the will breed him. The article spoke of him being able to support his weight on his hind legs.

Alan

The Jockey Club is pretty "old world" in their attitude about changing the rules. Once a rule is made it's not likely to change.Z

From the rule book of The American Jockey Club.

Breeding Practices Not Approved by The Jockey Club

Artificial Insemination: The process of depositing semen into the reproductive tract of a broodmare in order to get a broodmare in foal (pregnant) without the physical mounting by a stallion.

Cloning: Any method by which the genetic material of an unfertilized egg or an embryo is (i) removed, (ii) replaced by genetic material taken from another organism, (iii) added to with genetic material from another organism, or (iv) otherwise modified by any means in order to produce a live foal.

Embryo Transfer (Transplants): The method whereby a developing embryo or unfertilized egg is removed from its natural dam and implanted into the reproductive tract of either the natural dam or a host dam for a portion of the gestation period in order to produce a live foal.

MillIron, I'm under the impression that, about, the most mares a stud can cover in a season is 50. Is that correct by your thinking?

Alan

peg4x4":21cu3vrn said:
Can a Throbred(sp) be AI and be registered??

Maybe you posted before MillIron confirmed my thoughts, no you cannot AI and reg. a TB.

Although I sure you can an appendix QH, I wonder if for that reason they train any TB studs to a dummy. There goes my wondering brain again.

Alan

Latest posts