Barbero's Christmas

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan":7q5ep19s said:
MillIron, I'm under the impression that, about, the most mares a stud can cover in a season is 50. Is that correct by your thinking?

Alan

I'd say that would depend on how far out you spread the breeding season. We breed for later colts then alot of people do for the simple reason that our target is ranch and arena horses where early birthdates are not important. We will breed outside mares in March and early April by hand and then give the studs a little time off before we kick them out with their own mares. (about 15 each) We will take 1 or 2 outside mares that can be pasture bred during that time. I try to hold the limit to 30-35 mares total per stud. I know there are others who shoot for higher numbers but you can see it in their stallions at the end of the season. I know their seman count has to drop with their condition and some of those horses go in fat and come out looking like scarecrows.Z

BB.JPG

sorry, kind of a bad pic... look at his leg...
ss

So would any body in the TB Association really know "if" he actually mounted them "or" they cheated and used AI? Just sayin...not everybody is honest and alot of money IS on the line here... Or maybe if he mounted just one and they did AI on the other 49 mares?

TANGLES123":2cgne7tv said:
So would any body in the TB Association really know "if" he actually mounted them "or" they cheated and used AI? Just sayin...not everybody is honest and alot of money IS on the line here... Or maybe if he mounted just one and they did AI on the other 49 mares?

Big $ stuff I would say no, it's all AI, too much risk of big $ studs getting hurt. Small $ stuff who's to say? You have a$2500 stud that isn't trained to a dummy and you have the chance to make a little money in the privacy of your own barn... who's to say? I bet it's happened.

Alan

good question...maby(sp) someone from the jockey club is there? who knows other than those who own/race TB's...
ss

I'd be willing to bet it happens but the risk is going to be huge if someone finds out and turns it in to the Jockey Club. Probably permanent revocation of membership and they might even pull the papers on the horses involved. Maybe all the papers of the owner(s) horses.Z

Alan":2qnatk5y said:
peg4x4":2qnatk5y said:
Can a Throbred(sp) be AI and be registered??

Maybe you posted before MillIron confirmed my thoughts, no you cannot AI and reg. a TB.

Although I sure you can an appendix QH, I wonder if for that reason they train any TB studs to a dummy. There goes my wondering brain again.

Alan
Very slow typer,then got "bumped" before I could pull it..sorry