would you breed your mare to Barbaro & why

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

peg4x4

Reaction score
Would you breed your mare to Barbaro(sp)? It seems to me the racehorse industry is breeding bad bone to weak ligaments to insanity,and geting horses that can't do what a horse must do--RUN--

I don't think that that they are breeding bad bone and ligaments. I think that the race track is hard on any horse. But I do agree that they are breeding them to just run. That is why alot of do not make good riding horses they just know how to run and be stupid, or that is my opinion. But I think that its just like how a football players frequently blow out there knees, its just part of being an athlete. Thanks Kaneranch

Thoroughbreds tend to be 'hot', high-strung horses because of their breeding and I don't need that kind of a horse. I'll pass, thank you.

peg4x4":38zxhwd4 said:
Would you breed your mare to Barbaro(sp)? It seems to me the racehorse industry is breeding bad bone to weak ligaments to insanity,and geting horses that can't do what a horse must do--RUN--

I also don't think they are breeding weak or bad bone horses. It's the nature of the race industry. You get a new born foal and no one really touches them until they are 18 months, then someone jumps on their back and they are ran with another experienced horse and rider, so it's not started, it's a point and run. Then as a 2 yr old they are put on the track in full blown races, and they make their race careers as 3 yr olds. TB's bones do not fully develope until the are about 4. It is the greed of the high dollar industry that causes so many brake downs in race horses, not the quality of the horse.

But to answer you question yes if I had the money I wouldn't think twice, remember he broke his leg as a 3 yr old. He's a great horse. On one step he had a stress fracture, he broke it so bad on the next couple of steps before the jockey could get him stopped.

Horses should not be jumped on until they are 3, period!

JMO
Alan

Barbaro is an incredible horse. In the racing industry they just start out too soon.

P.S. the best horses we have ever had where ex racers, I am re training on right now, he has been off the track for a year and I was the 1st person to ride him after his last race. He is a quick learner and the sweetest horse we have owned

G&L Cattle":yd1a43pu said:
How is Barbaro? Last I heard he was very sick.
Aug 10 New York Times says leg is healing,no infection,and new hoof growing from coronary band on other hoof..glad of that..but I still feel there's something wrong with the very foundation of that horses bones..

peg4x4":1yv8k390 said:
but I still feel there's something wrong with the very foundation of that horses bones..

Please explain why you feel there is a problem with the bones...?

Alan

I wouldn't be able to afford the stud fee! But if I just happened to have several hundred thousand in my pocket floating around doing nothing I would definatly give him a try. Racing horses is too much fun. Er I should say Was too much fun. Cows take all my money now.
frosty3.jpg

Alan":2du3840v said:
peg4x4":2du3840v said:
but I still feel there's something wrong with the very foundation of that horses bones..

Alan
I was watching NOVA(I think)about wild horses--from birth they RUN-over rock,up hill thro gullys---while play fighting--then when the studs get older,they do all this while fighting for real!! Look at the mustang photo on this forum-look at those legs and hoofs-that horse will not break down just running. Now find a race horse photo--absolute toothpicks for legs,and seashells for hoofs..Mabe their raised wrong,I think their bred wrong.(Of course,my thoughts carry no weight)

peg4x4":28s963qp said:
Alan":28s963qp said:
peg4x4":28s963qp said:

Alan
I was watching NOVA(I think)about wild horses--from birth they RUN-over rock,up hill thro gullys---while play fighting--then when the studs get older,they do all this while fighting for real!! Look at the mustang photo on this forum-look at those legs and hoofs-that horse will not break down just running. Now find a race horse photo--absolute toothpicks for legs,and seashells for hoofs..Mabe their raised wrong,I think their bred wrong.(Of course,my thoughts carry no weight)

Peg,

I think your thoughts on the subject are pretty sound and you are correct, the mustangs have rock solid and hard feet and great legs. But different from than the TB's they had to be that way or they became coyote meat. So with mustangs it is basic " the strong survive and reproduce. Where as the TB and other "domestic" horses have the care and feed to help their feet. I don't think that the industry breeds weak legs and feet, I feel that domestic horses do not have to have rocks for feet in order to survive, but it doesn't mean they are weak, just not as strong as mustangs.

I feel that the break downs with race horse is due to over working horses when they are way to young and have undeveloped bones.

Good thoughts and conversation,

JMO,
Alan

How could one find out ,in the pedagree, if the horse came from "crippled " bloodlines?? Real question,not being snarkie..I love to watch horseraceing,just do beleive there's something wrong with the breeding policy..

peg4x4":2nbzyb4i said:
How could one find out ,in the pedagree, if the horse came from "crippled " bloodlines?? Real question,not being snarkie..I love to watch horseraceing,just do beleive there's something wrong with the breeding policy..

I'm sorry I don't understand the question, I do have experience with the race industy and race horses. Do you want to know if any horses broke down in the pedigree?

Alan

Alan":o0qw7gbq said:
peg4x4":o0qw7gbq said:

I'm sorry I don't understand the question, I do have experience with the race industy and race horses. Do you want to know if any horses broke down in the pedigree?

Alan
Yeah,how many horses in that line have broken down in training,and were retired to broodmare/stud..(sometimes what I think doesn't come out of my fingers!) :)

peg4x4":3kbyyrpp said:
Alan":3kbyyrpp said:
peg4x4":3kbyyrpp said:

Alan

I really think that is comparing apples and oranges. A wild mustang does not have a rider running the hell out of them at 20 months age - sees Allen's previous post. There is a huge difference between the work load a young TB goes through compared to a mustang. The thoroughbred is working much harder and moving a lot faster and is also generally a bigger framed animal. -- Now if you want to say that they are breeding thoroghbreds with bad feet than I would agree somewhat with that. But if you want to compare a scruffy rangey mustang to a modern thoroughbred then I don't think that is a fair comparision and almost anybody would do better buying a well bred thoroughbred than getting one of those BLM mustangs.

Ray

Alan":3e4hj9qf said:
peg4x4":3e4hj9qf said:
Alan":3e4hj9qf said:
peg4x4":3e4hj9qf said:

Alan

Peg,

I think your thoughts on the subject are pretty sound and you are correct, the mustangs have rock solid and hard feet and great legs. But different from than the TB's they had to be that way or they became coyote meat. So with mustangs it is basic " the strong survive and reproduce. Where as the TB and other "domestic" horses have the care and feed to help their feet. I don't think that the industry breeds weak legs and feet, I feel that domestic horses do not have to have rocks for feet in order to survive, but it doesn't mean they are weak, just not as strong as mustangs.

I feel that the break downs with race horse is due to over working horses when they are way to young and have undeveloped bones.

Good thoughts and conversation,

JMO,
Alan
See,humans save the weak,and breed from them,that's why we have Chinese Cresteds,and English Bulldogs...we save the unusual,the odd,as well as the weak..

Found a book on Ruffian(you're prolly not old enough to remember her) Both her parents were "retired" after they broke down-- don't know if it was bone or ligiment--

Some would argue that stock horses are pushed too early too. QH people...tell me what the stats are on reiners coming up chronically lame? Aren't they being shown as 2 year olds?

As far as Barbaro, if he was conformationally sound (which he appears to be) and has a good disposition than yes, I'd consider him as a stud for my mares.

born2run":5tnqaefq said:
Some would argue that stock horses are pushed too early too. QH people...tell me what the stats are on reiners coming up chronically lame? Aren't they being shown as 2 year olds?

As far as Barbaro, if he was conformationally sound (which he appears to be) and has a good disposition than yes, I'd consider him as a stud for my mares.

I don't know about reiners, but I did visit a breeding facility a couple of years ago. The ranch had some cutting horse mares on the place, 2 were about 14 yrs old and could hardly move, It was beyound my scope of why! Since the ranch (AI facility) owned these mares and raised cutting horses, they had no chance at my business. 14 yrs is way to early for dog food if you raise competitive horses. To me they are pushed way too hard at a young age.

JMO,
Alan

Than you take a look at eventers and dressage horses, at the top of their game in their early teens. :roll: I agree 100% Alan; a lot of breeds, not just TB's, encourage folks to start colts as 18 months old so that they can show them as 2 year olds. Even the slow gaits of WP cannot be healthy on a young horse's joints.

Latest posts