Bangs

Help Support CattleToday:

sjr725

Reaction score
Just curious - what is your vet charging for bangs vaccine this year? Is it just my imagination or did it go way up?

$15 -- also -- what age do you all vaccinate at -- is there concern for a heifer that is over a year? W eare thinking of buying a new one and we have our eye on one -- but she is not vaccinated yet --- I don't know why --

In Michigan it is no longer a requirement, however we continue to vac as we sell out of state often. Vets preference is from 5 to 9 months.

Sorry, I meant to post this on the Bangs VACC thread.... anyway looked it up and they charged me $4.85 for the shot.

$3/hd at the clinic. No idea what he charges for vaccinating if he has to make a country call.

It won't bother me if they cost a 100 dollars a pop. I have been to the bangs rodeo in the early 1970's.
The herd is quarantined and every postive found the state man branding a B on the jaw and hauling to slaughter. Seen them sell for 10 and 15 cents a pound for good cows because the buyers knew you had to sell for slaughter only. Had to have 3 negative readings on the entire herd tested three months apart before the quarantine was lifted. Pen the cows pull up that tail and the state man would draw out a little blood and rub it on a card.

Stop whining about two or three dollars when you start having to sell 800 dollar cow for a 100 you will have something to cry over.

Our vet will not vaccinate any heifer past 12 months of age... he usually washes the cost with the ranch call since we round up the heifer calves while we have him out here for something else.

DavisBeefmasters":1hw1ljs6 said:
Our vet will not vaccinate any heifer past 12 months of age... he usually washes the cost with the ranch call since we round up the heifer calves while we have him out here for something else.

Howdy from not far from you! What is the vet up there charging you? I would assume you are using a smaller vet and not Davis?.......
Double R

Dad was there and done that in the early "70s also. He was lucky enough to have transported it to another place about a month before they notified him of the first find. Back then you took what they brought at the sale. If I am not mistaken, didn't they start offering to buy the herd and send everything to slauter instead of having to test every 3 months or is it just my imagination?