Bangs CHV ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Haven't done one in over 25 years. But, I'm not in the business of producing breeding females for sale - if they leave here, there's a problem, or they weren't good enough to stay in my program...somebody may breed 'em, but I'll bet most get eaten. All surrounding states are Brucellosis-free; I'm unaware of any premium for OCV, or discounts for not being OCV.

We are on the border between two states and most producers in the area still vaccinate. It is not required for import into most areas, but official identification often is and it is nice to have that taken care of. Some producers will vaccinate all their commercial heifers in the fall before they sell them and think they get a premium, I think a lot of them just have nicer heifers then average to start with and get a premium for that. Many breed sales still require vaccination so the stock is eligible to go anywhere.

We are a bangs free state and have never done it on the heifers we retain in herd since I figure the odds are so small of getting it compared to something else causing problems.

I do have a group of replacement that I am going to sell and did do them since some states require it crossing state lines. Dont know if there is a premium for it other than you are able to sell to more buyers.

bangs vaccinate all replacement heifers and all stocker heifers that we purchase.

The vet in our area says he doesn't think it will be required much longer. Suggested being more up to date on vacs, for bvd etc..

3waycross":9u64sqj6 said:
We Bangs all of our replacements.

Same here. Until last year, we would just tattoo the heifers with the vets number in the right ear (the clip can become infected, and did not look pretty on show heifers so we opted to not get the clip at first), but now the law states they have to be tattooed and clipped. Our breeding replacements can end up in any state, so we never question wether or not to do it, we just do!