Banding Problem?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
About a month back I banded a handful of 600 pound calves. Had fist sized nuts. I used a California bander. Used vice grips on the tubing and got a hard pull on them. They were very tight. So far so good...until today.

Found one that had dropped the band and sack. But there is a cord hanging about 4 or 6 inches. I assume its the testicle's cord. Hes acting hurt.

Called vet, he said I could put a band on the cord and give a shot of penicillin.. Ive just read on the web that it should dry up.

That said, im about to get it up and throw a band on the cord. Any input is welcomed and encouraged.

Don't know if I did it wrong or what. Ive not banded many calves. Think ill have the vet out to cut our calves this year. or get them up earlier and use a tri bander.

Banding those big calves is very hard on them and hard on your pocketbook as it will set them back for two or more weeks. To me they are easiest to do at two months with the Tri-bander. The nuts are big enough then to get a hold of and big enough that after the band is applied you can be sure you didn't miss one. Your recovery time is also much shorter.

As to your problem, yes band the cord and give the pen.

I got him caught and put 2 bands on it just below the hole. Was looking at some others. Two have fell off and look normal to me. Another w big balls has has torn loose from the hide but it still on the cord.

From what im reading, they have fat in the scrotum at this size. And it acted as a cushion for the corn against the band. Calves are about 2 months right now, think im gonna get em banded the next time signs are right.

I banded them on the signs. All did good but this one animal. They never stopped grazing. He was off for a day or two. They are still fat, but he has lost some condition.

Definitely not something I want to repeat. Live and learn. I cannot learn from others mistakes. Lol.

I got him caught and put 2 bands on it just below the hole. Was looking at some others. Two have fell off and look normal to me. Another w big balls has has torn loose from the hide but it still on the cord.

From what im reading, they have fat in the scrotum at this size. And it acted as a cushion for the corn against the band. Calves are about 2 months right now, think im gonna get em banded the next time signs are right.

I banded them on the signs. All did good but this one animal. They never stopped grazing. He was off for a day or two. They are still fat, but he has lost some condition.

Definitely not something I want to repeat. Live and learn. I cannot learn from others mistakes. Lol.
They have fat in the scrotum at 3 months, give or take. This calf was cut when we worked them in May (appx 3 months). He was fine, but it scared the bejesus outta me until I sent my vet a pic and he assured me it was just fat. Nine times out of 10, mine are banded.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 59
About a month back I banded a handful of 600 pound calves. Had fist sized nuts. I used a California bander. Used vice grips on the tubing and got a hard pull on them. They were very tight. So far so good...until today.

Found one that had dropped the band and sack. But there is a cord hanging about 4 or 6 inches. I assume its the testicle's cord. Hes acting hurt.

Called vet, he said I could put a band on the cord and give a shot of penicillin.. Ive just read on the web that it should dry up.

That said, im about to get it up and throw a band on the cord. Any input is welcomed and encouraged.

Don't know if I did it wrong or what. Ive not banded many calves. Think ill have the vet out to cut our calves this year. or get them up earlier and use a tri bander.
Or you could get the old man across the mountain to bring his immobilizer and cost you lots less than a vet.

I have a friend who about 3 days after banding those big calves takes a sharp knife and just cuts everything off about an inch below the band. No drying off and falling. It is all gone. By then they have no feeling left there so it isn't a big struggle.

We use the EZE bander on our calves when they are 400-600 lbs. Doesn't seem set ours back at all.
Within an hour they are nursing or grazing. By day two you can see them starting to shrink. Most are off in 3 weeks. If you have swelling, you didn't get it tight enough to cut off blood flow.

Or you could get the old man across the mountain to bring his immobilizer and cost you lots less than a vet.
Now that sounds like a plan, Kenny. Ive been restraining the calf with an oak 2x4 wedged behind the animal in the chute. And I tie the foot nearest me to the chute bottom. The only animal that gave me a hard time is the one with the cord hanging after it fell off. He just would not settle down.

I am around our animals daily. And can touch most of them.

Definitely will let ya know when I'm doing these. Will for sure be in the next month.

I did cut slits into the sacks. Into the testicles even. Nothing swelled up thankfully. Slowly but surely getting the hang of this banding thing. Doubt I ever get comfortable cutting them. Never tried. Can't even stand to watch someone do it. Makes me weak in the knees. Lol

You are causing a lot of extra stress on those calves. There's no reason they should have been left in tact that long.

Pretty much every study shows that castrating using any method after they are 180 days old leads to lower weight calves and more chances of health issues. I won't band after 4 months. Anything bigger than that is better off getting cut.

I agree with Kenny. Banding at birth takes care of a lot of issues. It's fast, easy, and causes minimum stress if you use the right type of bander (and it's not that hard to make sure you have 2 in there).

I hope you gave them a tetanus antitoxin shot when you banded them that late.

I generally band at birth, ie little Green Ceerrio bands with shot of tetanus antitoxin(lost 5out of 30 1 year to tetanus, none since using it) But I have a few late calves that I let go til fall because vet advises not to do antitoxin within 2wks of vaccines because the antitoxin and vaccine with counter act and neither do any good. Using XL bander on bigger ones in fall

I tried a band that was easier to apply. Had a couple go septic and one died. So don't use cheap bands. Calicrate is what my vet uses.

I used to give my cow/calf about 24 hours after birth to get acclimated then I put the cherrio band on. A lot less stress on
all involved. I had a smaller herd so it wasn't too much work plus my calving season was split between early spring and early fall.

I've got the California bander and used it but have gotten to where I prefer to cut them and use a clamp... takes a little longer but there's less bleeding and they go right out and start eating most of the time... much shorter recovery time

At 2 months old just knife cut them... they won't ever look back. Banding is really only a possibly better or equally good option when they get a little older and have a big set.

Latest posts