Banding Problem?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
About a month back I banded a handful of 600 pound calves. Had fist sized nuts. I used a California bander. Used vice grips on the tubing and got a hard pull on them. They were very tight. So far so good...until today.

Found one that had dropped the band and sack. But there is a cord hanging about 4 or 6 inches. I assume its the testicle's cord. Hes acting hurt.

Called vet, he said I could put a band on the cord and give a shot of penicillin.. Ive just read on the web that it should dry up.

That said, im about to get it up and throw a band on the cord. Any input is welcomed and encouraged.

Don't know if I did it wrong or what. Ive not banded many calves. Think ill have the vet out to cut our calves this year. or get them up earlier and use a tri bander.

I band mine as early as possible (within first 24 hours). I really like them to get born, eat a bite, take a nap, and that's when I get them. If I can't I try to band them at the first work up when I run them through the chute in the late spring. If I miss those times they stay intact until they're sold. The gain in muscle usually is a wash with the hit I take in price.

I find it much easier to band when a few days/weeks old. Last bull calf I had born wasn't super healthy, so I gave him more time to gain strength and banded him at about 3 weeks. I used the small cheerio banding sort of type. I kept track and it fell off in about a month. Hardest part was making sure that I got both nuts in there. I asked my vet and she recommended giving tetanus before banding.