Baling Twine

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
When I think about how long baling twine has been used, it seems to me that it could be made in some way that it becomes biodegradeable of at least edible*...
Kinda along the same lines as trap n skeet business, where the clay pigeons just become a suppliment to the earth much in the same way a fetilizer does...
* Well in retrospect, I guess it is edible... So I will clarify in that after ingestion, it will actually "Do a Body Good"

TexasBred":10316bjy said:
Isn't sisal biodegradeable? Lots of folks still prefer to use it rather than plastic.
Sisal works great with light weight small squares, not sure it's strong enough for the weight of round bales.

Yes, sisal is a natural biodegradable product.

I'd much ratrher use it than net wrap when putting hay in a shed...........Round or square.

The you don't have to remove it when feeding.

I am going to pull a renovator through one pasture shortly to try and remove 25 years of plastic twine the previous tenant left behind.
I am not a big believer in more new laws. But I believe I would vote for one that would make all twine biodegradable.

Caustic Burno":1akjiks2 said:
All I use is grass string on my round bales.

As much sisal as breaks when I'm just putting up squares I figured the round bales would pop it for sure just from the weight. Even the squares that I raised off the gorund the mice ate through the sisal twine before I got around to using the hay

All I use is sisal. The 16000 sisal tears and separates real easy coming out of my twine tubes so I have to use the 9000. There actually is not much tension on the twine as compared to squares, at least I never thought there was.

dun":1diewhax said:
Caustic Burno":1diewhax said:

As much sisal as breaks when I'm just putting up squares I figured the round bales would pop it for sure just from the weight. Even the squares that I raised off the gorund the mice ate through the sisal twine before I got around to using the hay

It is not a problem on the round bales baled in the current year will rot off the bottom of hay over a couple seasons. This is not an issue as I have no trouble picking up the bales with spears or forks as I have to lift ever bale as I feed out of racks. The custom balers don't like it if you have to move bales several times then it becomes a problem.

Caustic Burno":3hmgdg4j said:
dun":3hmgdg4j said:
Caustic Burno":3hmgdg4j said:

It is not a problem on the round bales baled in the current year will rot off the bottom of hay over a couple seasons. This is not an issue as I have no trouble picking up the bales with spears or forks as I have to lift ever bale as I feed out of racks. The custom balers don't like it if you have to move bales several times then it becomes a problem.

We always layed the bottom layer of squares on it's side to prevent rot.

I like the way sisal rots when left outside even though i wish we had it all inside. It can fall apart on you at times. i hate the plastic left in our pastures. We tried to get it off but we must have done a poor job.

Angus/Brangus":3p17fqgh said:
Yes it would be nice if we had 1 month boidegradable and 3 month, 6 month and so on but the way I figure it is that if I can drag my a$$ off the tractor and pull out my pocket knife, and cut the twine then I've burned off about 30 calories. Do this several times and I can have a cold beer! Besides, I use the plastic to help burn brush piles plus it holds my round bales longer without worry of rot.

Angus...now you're talking my talk. Heck I'll take the beer regardless..

Sim...how much s@#t are you using in your operation that was discovered and put into production since we rolled into the 21st century? Bet you're place looks like where a bunch of kids had a party with silly string. But oh I forget...you have a college education. Too bad you never learned any manners or modesty. Those are pre-k courses.

I just find it interesting that people dont realize that sisal twine even existed before; where have you all been?--- It has been around forever-- and instead of putting up with this problem at home -- why not ask the guy down at the Co-op about it if it is indeed a problem for you. Or heck ask your dad or your mom or the neighbor.

And Tex-- even my 7 yr old daughter knows the difference and availability of sisal twine.
Tex- you know what is the most important thing about the 21st Century? Its the fact that we have been doing this since the 19th century-- long before your family was even here.

Angus/Brangus":1n05bn3r said:
Yes it would be nice if we had 1 month boidegradable and 3 month, 6 month and so on but the way I figure it is that if I can drag my a$$ off the tractor and pull out my pocket knife, and cut the twine then I've burned off about 30 calories. Do this several times and I can have a cold beer! Besides, I use the plastic to help burn brush piles plus it holds my round bales longer without worry of rot.

Well the problem in my part of the country is not being too lazy to drag my a$$ off the tractor to take the twine off but it is that we get a lot of snow and freezing rain and you can't get that frozen plastic twine off the bale. At best you can take a machete or axe and break the twine so at least the cattle don't get all tangled up. There also is a poly type biodegradable twine that I bought 3 years ago and it is suppossed to start degrading once sun hits it. Mine is still out in the pasture all tangled up in the mud, it ain't biodegradable at all, so sisal is the only thing I think of that is.

novatech":19z2r4gc said:
I am going to pull a renovator through one pasture shortly to try and remove 25 years of plastic twine the previous tenant left behind.
I am not a big believer in more new laws. But I believe I would vote for one that would make all twine biodegradable.

Hey Nova,
I did this with a Hay King and it works, but it bogs down the tractor and it rips out whole chunks of sod when it hits a thick tangle of string. You have to get on and off the tractor a lot to pull the string off the rippers. You will end up with rough ground and big piles of string and grass all mixed together and there's nothing to do with it but burn it.

This was an area where we had fed for years and I thought we had removed all the strings at feeding. If somebody was feeding for 25 years and making no attempt to remove the strings it sounds like a heckuva mess. Good luck!

simangus23":xc7r22q0 said:
I just find it interesting that people dont realize that sisal twine even existed before; where have you all been?--- It has been around forever-- and instead of putting up with this problem at home -- why not ask the guy down at the Co-op about it if it is indeed a problem for you. Or heck ask your dad or your mom or the neighbor.

And Tex-- even my 7 yr old daughter knows the difference and availability of sisal twine.
Tex- you know what is the most important thing about the 21st Century? Its the fact that we have been doing this since the 19th century-- long before your family was even here.

Simangus now you're family may not have been here but my family were originals. I still got a lot of native american blood running thru these old veins. (watch your scalp) :lol:

Thats ok Texasbred we had to fight the Comanches back in the day and as you can see thay are all gone...

That's just like a lil man to play the race card when he feels he is losing the war, as the battle has long been over.

simangus23":1cuorx95 said:
Thats ok Texasbred we had to fight the Comanches back in the day and as you can see thay are all gone...

That's just like a lil man to play the race card when he feels he is losing the war, as the battle has long been over.

Don't even go there. You are long way from being cut from that cloth.
You and 99% of Americans today would run like a pee waddlin dog if Buffalo Hump or Quanah Parker showed up on a ridge.

It is quite apparent you don't know Texas history cause we never defeated them.Quanah Parker was the last Chief of the Commanches and never lost a battle to the white man. His tribe roamed over the area where Pampa stands. He was never captured by the Army, but decided to surrender and lead his tribe into the white man's culture, only when he saw that there was no alternative. His was the last tribe in the Staked Plains to come into the reservation system.

simangus23":1nxoxnrw said:

Did I mention Comanches?? Don't think so. And I'd never go to war with you Sim....you're unarmed. :cowboy:

We used to feed small squares with wire. Had a friend help feed on time and we were picking up baling wire all over the place, boy were we :devil2: . Last time he helped feed.
Now use a round baler with plastic twine. We always try to make sure it is picked up.
Cousin uses the same type of stuff. He's killed a few of his cows because he did not make sure the twine was all picked up. :roll:

Latest posts