plastic twine/net wrap

Help Support CattleToday:

rouxshortorn

Reaction score
had a freind over that told me I should remove the plastic twine/net off the bales when I put the bale in the feeder. Never removed it in the 13 yrs. I've been using plastic. Will plastic mess with their system if eaten???????? I've seen some chew on it before but just know wondering if it affected them without me realizing it.

it can. its best to pick it up as you go just in case b/c some cows have died from eating it.

:shock: Even if it doesn't kill them by blocking their system - it builds up so they can't eat as much.
When you butcher a cow - check out the contents of her stomach!
It always amazes me when I hear someone saying they leave it on & have been for ---years!
If I did that once - I'd kill something for sure - and it would be my best one!
How could you not think it couldn't hurt them? Count your blessings.

YES IT IS BAD FOR THEM! My grandpa bought a little potbellied steer at auction for cheap with the intention of putting weight on him and pulling off the pot belly. He got skinniner and never lost his gut. He was wormed, given vitamin shots, grain, probios - nothing helped. He died shortly after he got him and pawpaw cut him open just to see if he could tell what was wrong with him and his rumen was full of plastic sacks.

thanx for all the replies, i thought it would pass through. Next one I put in the freezer I'll ask Tom to open it up to see the content inside. And to answer one of the comments I always recycle the twine after their finished with the bale,only now I'll recycle before the bale is put in the feeder. thanx again

Not only is it bad for the animal, it is also very hard on eartags. It is the best knife out there for removing eartags. Almost every tag we have lost is due to the stuff, and we remove it all.

Our cousin would do that. It seemed every year he had a dead cow or two in the dump. Husband looked one day and saw a bunch of twine in the cows. Tells you what they died from.

I had the sick feeling watching my bull calf eat some. Every day I get up to see if he is still alive. My cattle are on rented land and with the owners herd. I asked him about any deaths cause I know he does not vac and he told me usually 1-2 a year.....just lost a calve this week. He said didn't know why they have died they just did. Well Just picking as I go on a 42 acre pasture I have filled 3/4 of the way with twine and that is just the stuff in front of me when I am walking .

Bet I know where this man's $2-3 grand a year he lost on dead animals came from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is why I am using all sisal twine from now on. Even trying to pick up all the plastic off of bales I still could never get rid of that stuff off my farm. Had a cow get some wedged in her throat last year and that was it for me with plastic.

I use bright colored plastic string,blue or orange , so I can see it easily and I take it all off, it's not too bad because most of my bales are wrapped with plastic anyway and have to take that off so it don't take much more time. If I ever get another baler I think I would like net wrap.

just bought Krone KR130 4x4 and has both string and net. Before I bought round bales from a freind with plastic twine and was kind of hard getting all the string off.The net wrap is faster when baling and with one cut across the net and it unwraps with no problems.Net may seem alittle pricie but I feel itworth it and a time saver.

I use bright blue orange nylon twine. Once I noticed a calf with a piece hanging out of him mouth, I caught him and pulled on it and I pulled out a whole wad of the stuff !!! I try to get all of the twine / wrap when we put it in the hay racks.