Baling Twine Prices on the increase

Help Support CattleToday:

ironpeddler

Reaction score
Yes last year's sisal twine price went up $10 a package. Usually twine will take big drop the year following a large increase, but that is not the case now. What has happened with sisal is there is increased demand for sisal rugs. The most expensive sisal fibers from African sisal were switched from AG twine to sisal rugs but the demand has exceeded the supply of the available African sisal. The European mills located in Portugal have moved their operations to Brazil because of the logistics of now having to use Brazilian sisal for the European markets. The sisal fibers used in baling twine take two years to grow so when demand increases it takes 2 years for the producers to catch up.

Any twine in stock now will be at a lower price than when the 2006 stock hits the market. Since we purchase thousands of bales of twine we purchase 6-9 months in advance. We have nothing to gain by selling a few bales of twine in stock now when we will receive $5 more for it in a few months.

Plastic twine is made from oil and oil prices have dramatically increased since last years twine raw materials were purchased. Depending on the plastic twine desired, it has gone up $3-5 a package for next years market.

This price increase will not affect the average small producer because they may use 5-10 bales of twine. What if you used 100 bales of twine? That would purchase $500 more of that cheap diesel fuel. Farmers need all the advantage they can get because they purchase retail and sell wholesale & work long hours in non-glamorous situations.

I guess I should have bought the sealed box of 2 spools at $2 for the box last week-end.

dun

dun":1tzse4p3 said:
I guess I should have bought the sealed box of 2 spools at $2 for the box last week-end. :(

dun

ironpeddlers headsup makes that auction sale twine look pretty good now huh.

I remember a post last winter/spring stating that sisal twine would be hard to find and if you found some the price would be pretty high. I can't remember the reason that was given. Did anyone have trouble finding sisal twine last year?

Currently I am paying $25/bale for sisle in 16,000 foot bales. This was purchased last week.

ChrisB":25dcfx0a said:
I remember a post last winter/spring stating that sisal twine would be hard to find and if you found some the price would be pretty high. I can't remember the reason that was given. Did anyone have trouble finding sisal twine last year?
There was no problem finding it, it was just the extra added cost of it. Now, it looks like this year it's going to cost us more again.

flaboy+":34jlb6sa said:
Currently I am paying $25/bale for sisle in 16,000 foot bales. This was purchased last week.

In 2003 our price on 16000 sisal twine started at $16 a bale and currently is $28 but it is going up to $32 soon. We sell 4- 40' containers a year of sisal twine.

Once that $25 twine is gone you will see 16000 round bale sisal twine in the mid-$30's. Twine is typically sold locally and is not a product that logistically sells well on the internet.

Guess I will go back and get some more for next year before the price goes up. I appreciate the info. Should save me some bucks next year not having to pay $30 +.