Baler Twine

Help Support CattleToday:

Hondac

Reaction score
Any suggestions as to which round baler twine you like best? I had a heck of a time this weekend
rolling hay. Went thru 3 bundles of twine which did not cut well at all. I was off the tractor at least
80% of the rolls. Then, on the last bundle (same brand of twine), only 1 roll out of 43 failed to tie.

have you sharpened your twine cutting knives on your baler.that might be as much of the problem as the twine is.

bigbull338":3dhayb7q said:
have you sharpened your twine cutting knives on your baler.that might be as much of the problem as the twine is.
I was thinking the same thing, that used to be my problem when we used twine.

same here dun whenever the twine wont cut.we always sharpen the knives 1st.very rarely have we had twine sharp knives wouldnt cut.

Cleaning and lubing mechanism as well as sharpening helps.
A trick I use to not run out of string is to buy 25% red string and 75% blue. Put the roll of red last in string dispenser.When Baling the string turns red I know it is time to reload string. Since I started doing this I have not had a string less bale.

Aaron":15ydxggy said:
I've used this,

http://www.qcsupply.com/90492-clearfiel ... bales.html

for a few years and like it. Don't like the regular plastic that lives a life of it's own long after I'm dead, and hate sisal that breaks down under the bale within a week of baling.

Aaron
How long does it take to breakdown? Sounds like what will breakdown is only the part exposed to the sun, is that right?

Thanks for the ideas. I'll file the knive on the old JD 530. Honestly, I doubt that the cutting knive
on this baler has ever been sharpened. Aaron, I may also try a bundle of the twine you suggest if I can find some locally.

i went for 2 years kinda like that it would miss 2 then tie 10 perfect finally figured out the twine on one side was not threaded through the arm right rethreaded and it never missed, and during that i tried all kinds of twine it was just a simple thing.

Latest posts