baled now rained on?

Help Support CattleToday:

dbrews1954

Reaction score
ok so I told the guy next door I would buy the round bales he did the other day, about 60 of them, he was going to deliver them , now we have got about 2 inchs of rain on them before he got them out of the field, they are 4x5 rounds with the plastic netting wrap, will this rain ruin the hay after its baled?

dbrews1954":nyq2yncz said:
ok so I told the guy next door I would buy the round bales he did the other day, about 60 of them, he was going to deliver them , now we have got about 2 inchs of rain on them before he got them out of the field, they are 4x5 rounds with the plastic netting wrap, will this rain ruin the hay after its baled?
If he did a good job of baling there should be no problems with it at all. Amazing how much water the wrap will shed.

I would leave them outside for a couple of days before I put them in the barn, but the hay itself should be fine.

Wow you are worried about bales with plastic wrap on them I have over 100 that sat outside since last year that cattle love and often will eat those bales over fresh grass.

well its not like solid plastic like when you bale it at high moisture, more like light wt snow fence, anyway thanks everyone for getting back with me, still raining, got about 3 inchs today, 40 miles south they got 5 inchs already today

Yep, just leave them out a while to air out.

On my small squares, if it rains on them I go kick them 90 degrees after about 2 days, then once more a day or two later, because small squares will absorb moisture from the ground too. I do it from my motorbike and can do about 3-400 an hour... I got it so I hook the end of the bale with the one of the front forks of the bike, and that does most of the turning, and I just give it a little kick to finish it off. Round bales don't absorb nearly as much from the ground since they have less contact with it

the hay is still good even if it rained on it after it was baled.but i would not put it in a barn.id leave it out in the open.

Our net wrapped bales last a second season sitting out. We keep 2 years rolled up and none are barn kept.

Latest posts