Bale Wrappers

Help Support CattleToday:

lukem86

Reaction score
What brand of bale wrappers do you have or have you heard things about? Looking at an Anderson individual wrapper... thanks

I'm unfamiliar with the brand names because I hire my neighbor. But, I am definately biased towards in-line wrappers vs individual "marshmellow" type wrappers.
If you go with the individual, try to plan on never moving them after 24 hours of making. Suppose to "break" the seal if you grab them after that time.
We've been using in-line for probably about 20 years - when they first hit U.S.

I have a Anderson wrapper. In 2006 I wrap 6270 bale for my farm and 1400 for neigbourgs. It's a inline wrapper. It,s equiped with distance remote control., light, distance starter...
I recommand this machine. It's a full automatic machine Cost $25,500 Canadian money in 2005.

i agree with the other two, from the people i've talked with that have used both individual and inline, they say after going to the in-line they will never use individual again. Just remember like Jeanne said with the individual move them to where you plan to store them prior to wrapping.

I'll fourth that. In theory the marshmallows are handy, but they really aren;t

wow- you've all pretty much talked me out of an individual.... I was thinking about going this route for 2 reasons:

One being spoilage after opening up a tubeline. Having to keep feeding from it once it is opened... Or are there ways to combat this? Would stuffing an old dry hay bale in front help?

And second having the option to move or sell the individual bales if I had some to get rid of. But you are saying that they shouldnt be moved after 24 hours... With one of the "grabbers" the manufacturers sell, do you still puncture the plastic, or does it get brittle over time? I hadnt planned on moving them with pallet forks, thought maybe I could fabricate my own grabber for the loader. What are your thoughts?

I dont have any experience with wrapping, so any information or experiences you can share is very helpful. thanks

Thw waste problerm with the inline wrappers probably depends on how fast you feed it. At the dairy we don;t worry about i but the hay doesn;t last very long. The individual wrappeers just seem to tear pretty easily since hte plastic is pretty thin and stretchy. It's not a problem with the inlines because it's hard to pick up 20 plus bales all at once.

Family Tradition":1wt4or36 said:
What kind of cost hiring the bales wraped?

With 2 rolls of plastic of 30 inches you wrap 90 bales. If you put less plastic I dont guarantie the job. Cost me $160,00
I wrap easy 70 bales an hour if I use a skid loader. The man and the skid loader $50.00 an hour.
My cost each bale
Plastic $2.00
1 man+skid $1.00
Wrapper $2.50
Total $5.50
At that price my wrapper work at $175.00 an hour.

The price could be lower if lots to wrap

Marcel

we buy special ends for the tubes that are plastic sheets indstead of dry bales its alot less spoilage

Don't know much about the baleing end of this, but I feed the singles around here. Seems like most around here do the same. Works out good for me, because I can move the singles with my tractor easily. I do get a hole once in a while though. If the temp is up I patch the hole. As cold as it's been lately I'm not to worried about bacteria. With that said, baylage quailty does vary from farmer to farmer. I buy them for $20-$30 ea.
CW

Hmm - I typed this once & lost all of it, I'll try again.
One being spoilage after opening up a tubeline. Having to keep feeding from it once it is opened... Or are there ways to combat this? Would stuffing an old dry hay bale in front help?
Very little (if any) spoilage in cold weather no matter how long inbetween feeding.
Yes, closing the end w/ dry bale can help, if needed.
And second having the option to move or sell the individual bales if I had some to get rid of. But you are saying that they shouldnt be moved after 24 hours... With one of the "grabbers" the manufacturers sell, do you still puncture the plastic, or does it get brittle over time?
Selling individual bales is easiest. But, if buyer plans on feeding them up in a few weeks, no problem w/ inline bales.
Punctures/tears are not the problem. The bales are wrapped with many (about 5) layers of thin tight plastic that sticks to itself as being stretched. After 24 hours, if disturbed, they don't "stick" as well, allowing possible air flow.

we buy special ends for the tubes that are plastic sheets indstead of dry bales its alot less spoilage
I don't recommend these. They are expensive & a REAL pain and time consuming to put on, and we always STILL had the end bale spoil, no matter how careful we were.
Best thing is to bale up some yukky dry hay in 4x4 bales & start & end your lines with a dry bale, wrapping extra at the seam. I reuse my dry bales for many years. Never have a wet bale spoil unles we don't get a good wrap between the wet & dry.

There are 3 ways to put up baleage.
Singles (marshmellows)
In-Line (continuous wrap)
Tube (one big BAG)
Tubes used to be horrible. If one single hole got in bag - whole line of bales spoiled because the whole bag would BREATH allowing air exchange thru-out the hole bag.
You can get holes all over your inline, and the only hay that spoils in right where the hole is.
Tubes are better now, they are much tighter, but I still recommend in-line as best (IMO)

jeanne i am agasint you for the ends we reuse the ends everyyear and i can put on on in about 1 minute

glover36":3i10wtkf said:
jeanne i am agasint you for the ends we reuse the ends everyyear and i can put on on in about 1 minute
Re-reading your first post, you mentioned TUBES, so we might be talking about two different things. I don't know what they use for tubes. I can only remark about in-line, which we have been using for about 20 years.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1nxcx8eg said:
glover36":1nxcx8eg said:
Re-reading your first post, you mentioned TUBES, so we might be talking about two different things. I don't know what they use for tubes. I can only remark about in-line, which we have been using for about 20 years.
when the bale baggers first came out we put up 400 bales,an the bags we used was 200ft long an 4ft wide.only had 1 prob the dang coons punctered the bags an messed up the fermenting hay.so balage was a bust around here,now the wrappers that wrapp single bales are alot better than what we used 27yrs ago.

glover36":2leooiqd said:
i am talking about bale wrappers like wrapping a 4x5 in a row of 200 or so
we are talking about the same thing.a 200ft long bag would hold 35 or 40 bales.

Latest posts