Fenceline Round Bale Feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB

Reaction score
I thought I had run across a fenceline round bale feeder somewhere in the past but I can't seem to find anything on the internet so maybe I just dreamed it. Anyway, I am remodeling a dairy barn for feeding cattle and the current setup is really nice for feeding grain but I am looking for ways to feed hay or corn stalks. I was wondering how it would work to have planks or something angled at 45 degrees or so with a feed panel at the bottom. I'm thinking I could set a few bales in at a time and as they are eaten the bales will slide down the planks toward the bottom. Everything would be inside - cattle and hay but I don't have room to put a round bale feeder in the alley of the barn. Does that idea sound like it would work? Or does anyone make a fenceline bale feeder? I really don't want to have to resort to buying and feeding squares if I can help it.

I use cradles built out of old trampoline frames. Caustic put me on to the idea a few years back. Gussets give them strength. It keeps the hay off of the ground. I have 12 cradles and can put out 12 bales with little to no waste. A wire cattle panel is welded in to the bottom of each cradle.

If this link works you can get an idea. One is flipped upside down so that you can see the gussets. It is the gussets that give these things strength.

Maybe this will help or give you other ideas as to what to do.

http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto ... puser/2144

I don't know what they charge for that, but it'd be easy enough to make.

Latest posts