bale spinner

Help Support CattleToday:

uplandnut

Reaction score
I know a lot of you guys roll out your hay bales and I have been looking into it as long as it reduces waste. However I was doing a little searching for the hay unrollers and found something else, a bale spinner. I've never seen one before and never hear any of you guys talk about something like it but I like the idea as it can still be used as a normal bale spear. I thought it was a neat idea as the pump goes both ways so you can turn it either way depending on which way the bale is wrapped. I don't know how to post links but the version I found is made by worksaver. Looked pretty slick just thought I'd see if you guys can find the faults in something like this before I consider spending the cash on something like it.
Thanks

Can't help you on the spinner. I unroll with a DewEze super slicer. Reduces waste greatly. I used to unroll the width of the bale, which in my situation was 4' wide. This caused a lot of waste. In my experience.... The narrower the windrow and the longer the windrow.....the less waste you will have. Hope this helps somewhat.

I thought it would be pretty slick too. Had one and tried to sue it one winter, was really happy when a sucker bought it the next fall. Mine was the worksaver, a couple of things to be aware of. You will need to put a restricter in the hydraulic line, otherwise you cant turn the bale slow enough. Even turning it slow, it will shake the crap out of you unless your bales are perfectly balanced. You end up with a core about 2 foot in diameter that is very hard to remove from the center spike. The method I finally adopted was to run a loop of chain around the front of the bale and chain it to a tree and drive away. Then I would scoop up the bale with the FEL bucket and go dump it for the cows to waste.

dun":3f09cg2j said:
I thought it would be pretty slick too. Had one and tried to sue it one winter, was really happy when a sucker bought it the next fall. Mine was the worksaver, a couple of things to be aware of. You will need to put a restricter in the hydraulic line, otherwise you cant turn the bale slow enough. Even turning it slow, it will shake the crap out of you unless your bales are perfectly balanced. You end up with a core about 2 foot in diameter that is very hard to remove from the center spike. The method I finally adopted was to run a loop of chain around the front of the bale and chain it to a tree and drive away. Then I would scoop up the bale with the FEL bucket and go dump it for the cows to waste.

Always wondered how those would work, thanks for saving me some coin.

I've got one of the regular Worksaver unrollers, and it works really well. You can look at the tails on a twine wrapped bale to see which way it needs to be unrolled, and the netwrap on my new baler is color coded so I arrange all of the bales in the hay lot so they're ready to go come winter. If the hay was a little damp, the last 2' or so can be a bit hard to unroll, just the same as with a Hydrabed. I've found that if I unroll 6 or 8 feet, then pick it up for 6 or 8 feet and repeat, that the cows waste less hay. This way they stand around the hay and eat, rather than walk straight down the middle and poop on it.

Thank you for the input, figured someone on here had tried something similar. Think I'll just stick with my round bale rings.

uplandnut":2ym9rd7r said:
Thank you for the input, figured someone on here had tried something similar. Think I'll just stick with my round bale rings.
That's what we went back to. With the 2 long spikes at the bottom type of bale spike it makes moving them easy

This year when I was baling my last hay my tie stopped working so I baled anyway and bales fell apart I been feeding the busted bales a little each day and have been really surprised on how much they do not waste when putting the hay out so I was thinking maybe I will get a bale spinner but not now. I will look for a unroller now I guess. The reduced waste is unbelievable. I plan to try it to see how many bales I use this way. I will however only put whole rolls out when weathers going to be bad or I don't have time to fool with breaking the bales down.

cfpinz":jivc78na said:
dun":jivc78na said:

Always wondered how those would work, thanks for saving me some coin.

I've got one of the regular Worksaver unrollers, and it works really well. You can look at the tails on a twine wrapped bale to see which way it needs to be unrolled, and the netwrap on my new baler is color coded so I arrange all of the bales in the hay lot so they're ready to go come winter. If the hay was a little damp, the last 2' or so can be a bit hard to unroll, just the same as with a Hydrabed. I've found that if I unroll 6 or 8 feet, then pick it up for 6 or 8 feet and repeat, that the cows waste less hay. This way they stand around the hay and eat, rather than walk straight down the middle and poop on it.
Good idea

cfpinz":28usf0gi said:
I've found that if I unroll 6 or 8 feet, then pick it up for 6 or 8 feet and repeat, that the cows waste less hay. This way they stand around the hay and eat, rather than walk straight down the middle and poop on it.

Good idea x2

The first year or so I went to unrolling rather than using rings, I calculated how much it saved me but that was about 10 years ago and you know how that goes. I'm thinking it was somewhere around 25-30%.

Another thought is that the cows will spread the manure wherever you want them to by unrolling, just run a drag over it in the springtime and you're done. Plus they're not standing around in manure/muck all winter, dragging teats and such through it and passing bugs from calf to calf.

i have a worksaver spin off and i use it everyday for several years now. I was unrolling 6 bales a day with mine but since buying the new farm I'm doing to unrolling 1 a day right now until I get the place in order.

Anyway.. I love mine. I wouldn't feed hay any other way.

I have unrolled every type of bale wit it.. uneven, frozen, etc.. never has shaken me. My factory hydraulics allow me to control the speed of the unroller down to barely even moving it if I want.

This is saved me massive amount of hay, and all my cows, even the smallest calf.. will be able to get a nice bit of good hay.

The one bad thing is the core sometimes stay on it.. but even my tighest bales the core will get down pretty small. I just get off and pull it off and unroll it by hand. Sometimes you do have to pull up next to a tree and pull one off, but its rare.

i had a regular unroller before this and that thing was a pain. each arm has to be perfect in the center. the bales never want to unroll b/c they are usually frozen. a large amount of hay is flat on the ground and they love to waste it / sleep on it.

The main thing i hated was that you have to grab one with the front spear out of the row, bring it clear back. set it down, turn the trator around and hope you got those arms pretty damn even.. Feeding 650 + round bales a winter I really didn't like the extra 10,000 steps of pushing in the clutch.

Latest posts